Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyes Up

Sammy Craig

I'm a newbie so hello to you all, I've heard you're a great bunch! Like many of you I'm sure, I was inspired to stargaze by the late, great Patrick Moore, when my uncle bought me the Observer's Book of Astronomy in 1978. Since then I've always loved to watch the sky. 

I bought a pair of Celestron binos a couple of years ago, which have been decent, but this Christmas I'm finally getting a telescope, the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. Can't wait. 

Look forward to getting to know some of you.

Sammy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Sammy, as you can see the 200 is a popular scope, and for very good reasons. Any questions, just ask however basic it might seem. There's a wealth of experience and knowledge here to draw on.

Best wishes and clear skies.

Jason

Sammy Craig........hi there, welcome to SGL

Anyone of the eyepieces in my signature are more than suitable for the f/6 Skyliner, if /when you feel like upgrading the basic eyepieces that are supplied. Its the 10mm that is the weakest, and is often the first that gets changed. The 25mm is ok.

If you don't already have, grab yourself a copy of Stellarium, its FREEWARE. There are wiki instructions to help you set up. but a great aid to the night skies and for pr-planning your observations, present and in the future, weather permitting

Dark skies to you.

Hello Sammy and welcome you've certainly picked a very good scope to,start of your new adventure. Have a look on the forum for information on collimation. Once you've mastered this fairy easy maintenance job you will gain maximum benefit from your scope. The publication Sky and telescopes pocket star atlas is a very good addition to your set up and really makes life easy when hunting for objects. Enjoy

Welcome Sammy, Im sure we are all indebted to SPM for getting us into Astronomy, his enthusiasm which was infectious. I never had the pleasure of meeting the great man but im sure he has his place amongst the stars.

Good luck and clear skies, the 200P is a great scope.

Ben from Berkshire

Archived