Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Goonrdolly

Orion future learn

Me too. Also on the Introduction to Astronomy course from Duke University, on Coursera. But not too happy about it seeming to major on maths and calculations ... Hanging in, though!

Yep, I signed up for that also,

not sure if it will be beyond my capabilities or not though :huh: but i'll give it a go :smiley:

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up , I did the moons course and would of expected them to email me that course . But they didnt.

Signed up :-)

Is it just me, or is this course a bit too basic? Just finished the first week tonight. (Though couldn't go out to look at Orion because it is cloudy, but I have seen it before

I've also done the full weeks material in the space of a couple of hours. I'm new to astronomy and also found the first week of the course basic. Let's hope there's a little more to it next week. It's free so I can't really grumble.

Too basic as stated aimed at complete novices so no complaints as only took an hour and perhaps the remaining weeks will have much more content. I'm looking forward more to the Higgs Boson course starting later this month and the Moons course.

• Like 1

Yes it was a bit 'basic'. Was starting to loose interest a bit, but then they got to the Gaia stuff. I went off and followed a few links from the ESA site, and found some info on L2 Lagrange points. Also came across Stellar Kinematics, Stellar Dynamics, and the difference between the two, which I hadn't picked up on before. So all in all, a worth while session. Hope it goes a bit deeper next week.

Ray

I think it is because it has to be suitable for people that know nothing. It does seem very basic at the moment, you can download the pdf's at the bottom of each page , some additional things to read to take you to next week.

Lets hope it warms up next week .

Just a boost. For anyone who decided to abandon after week one (myself also considered), Week 2 is so far following a course with actual content and is well worth reconsidering.

Let's face it, if I abandon, then it is my loss, and more fool me.

WK2 so far is light years ahead of WK1 (or behind, depending on celestial view point) and IMHO I'm learning things.:)

• Like 2

I agree,

Much better. I also enrolled in Moons, The Higgs Boson and Maths for Physics/Engineering (although I'm over reaching with the latter!)

• Like 1

I've just started week 2 and it looks like it will be a bit more informative this week! 2.27, Black Hole Cannibal sounds really intriguing!

• Like 1

Week 2 has a bit more meat to it so hang on :)

Yes so far it is a bit basic stuff but it can be a good refresh for advanced learners and it is easy enough to not put off the beginners.

Website is easy to navigate, you can download the videos and pdf  and... it is free, so I won't complain ;)

Edited by Vox45

Enjoying it, week two far more interesting, remember it is free, Higgs Boson next...

Yes, last week was interesting and certainly learnt quite a few things. This week definitely has a lot of interest by the looks of it so I'm glad I continued past week 1. I wonder how many dropped out sheer disappointment of the content from week 1 of which could have been so easy to do.

Hi guys, with these courses are you better off going through the Futurelearn website, or signing up on the OU site? just wanted your thoughts and which way you guys have signed up for them. 

Thanks

Yup, enjoying Wk3 - a bit more thought-provoking.

I was initially a bit disappointed by Wk1 as, from the course title, I was expecting a bit more of an in-depth look at Orion and everything within that region.  No matter though, it persuaded me to follow a few angles I might not otherwise have thought about, and I ended learning more than I expected.  But for me this week is the most involving so far, and I'm glad I stuck with the course.