Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter on Dec 7th

moxican

I took these images on the very cold morning of Dec 7. Choice of weapon was a C9.25 running at F18 with a ASI120MM-S and Baader RGB filters. Seeing was predicted to be average, but I think it was better than that. In any matter I am pretty happy with the results as they show some detail. I only took two sets of rgb, each channel 4min long. Derotated in Winjupos, stacked in AS!2, Registax6 wavelets and some finishing off with CS5. I resized one of the image using Registax6's Lanczos method.

Critics and comments are welcome as always.

post-18319-0-86979500-1418186717.jpg

post-18319-0-21350200-1418186676.jpg

post-18319-0-39671100-1418186735.jpg

As Pete says these images would benefit less sharpening. The fine detail on the poles has merged together which makes the derotation process ineffective. Remember Jupiter is a gas planet with fine festoons and vortexs. I would try 1.5x drizzle when seeing is good as it produces a finer result.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try and reprocess giving it less sharpening. Also will give a shot to drizzling too.

Pete, in fact now that you've mentioned it, it does seem like the derotation was not effective enough. Do you have any idea why not?

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try and reprocess giving it less sharpening. Also will give a shot to drizzling too.

Pete, in fact now that you've mentioned it, it does seem like the derotation was not effective enough. Do you have any idea why not?

Are you derotating the video stream? If so then check your image measurements are correct ie the date and times are entered correctly and in the right format. I assume you are using a section from the mid time from the original video for the measurement? Also ensure the measurement frame is orientated correctly to your image. I recently forgot to ensure the preceding side was on the correct side of the disc and was looking at the output thinking that the final image looked worse which was not surprising really!!!

Also in my experience derotation shows the most improvement with very good data to start with as it tightens up the finer detail nicely.

Pete

Yes Pete, I myself made the same mistake once. I forgot to check for the orientation of the measurement image and it turned out to be terrible. However, with this one that is not what the case is. I am very careful about that now :) I derotated the video files with this one. About the data, I was able to stack 35-45% of my videos. The measurement dates are all correct, they are given by Firecapture, although the figures of shadows and moons on the measurement image never seem to overlap exactly right. And also yes, the mid-time is used for the measurement. I think I didn't miss anything. Any other thought?

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

Stuart is correct, the over sharpening will have a negative effect on the finer detail in your image that you are trying to enhance using derotation, but still its worth ensuring that the derotation process is doing as it should initially. Apply the sharpening in small steps, its a fine balance though as it's all to easy to over do things and produce an unnatural result.

Pete

Archived