Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Schedule: Observing Meet's Jan. - June 2015

L8-Nite

Schedule: for South Wales Group Observing Session's at the Blaenavon site,  January > June 2015

Hi folks, these Friday & Saturday weekend dates are the best to provide us with dark sky observing closest to the New Moon. There are two consecutive dates provided for each month to give us a second opportunity if the weather is uncooperative on the first night.  Check the posted monthly thread for updates, and also on the day, in the afternoon, to see if the observing session is either a Go or a No-Go based on latest weather predictions.

If you have not attended one of our informal meet's before, the Blaenavon site is located next to the radio towers north east of town, at the paved " Fox Hunter " car park.  

The coordinates are .......  51*  47'  25.74"  N  by  3*  4'  10.74"  W 

General Schedule:

Jan.  23rd  or  24th 

Feb.  20th  or  21st 

Mar.  20th  or  21st

Apr.  17th  or  18th

May  15th  or  16th

Jun.  19th  or  20th

Keep these dates in mind, and also look for " Short Notice " observing sessions being posted by myself or other members.

Edit:  Clear skies to us all !  :smile:   

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Went  to Trecastle on my own and saw three wise men I mean three astronomers, what a great bunch of blokes I was soon picking their brains and they were only to glad to help. I set up my Star Tracker ( it was freezing and windy), put on my 18mm lens and thought I would play safe and train it on orions belt. After taking 37 subs 30 secs long the cold was getting to me and the clouds rolled in. Dont think I warmed up untill I was halfway home.  Got on the computer stacked them in DSS after waiting a while I get the usual "only one image will be stacked" oh well I thought. Was it worth it 100% yes , fantastic dark sky and good company, I learnt more in ten minutes with them than hours reading books cheers guys

Nice meeting you on friday night Paul. Pity it was a bit windy for imaging. The cloud that rolled in just before you departed failed to clear so we weren't far behind you. Look forward to seeing your photographs once you get over your teething probs. I'm sure you'll get some cracking shots at Usk.  :smiley:

Hi Moffa, I really enjoyed it except for that blasted wind, I couldnt figure out why only one sub would be stacked in DSS, went over it and over it and it was only when I was looking at the mount again did I realise it was set on timelapse, to say I was kicking myself was an understatement. Lots of practice for me I think in the garden untill I get a system in place.  Thanks once again for your help and letting me look through your scope I was amazed.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

im really looking forward to the next few meets :)  been a while since iv gone to a proper one and i cant see any excuse at present not to be able to come (bar the disco braking down, again, as usual, but at least i can fix it without any computers woo)   

im really looking forward to it. had a quick session tonight with the LX90 and its orion neb was the best iv ever seen it!  :)   only had to pack in when it rained (for about 20 mins) and then even darker clear skys but after it was all away i wasnt going to get it out again :(

Archived