Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

You can't image during the full moon?

MattJenko

Here is my latest effort. It contains a lot of firsts for me.

• First time combining data from 2 different nights
  • First time combining data from pre/post meridian flip
  • First time leaving kit out for 2 days.
  • First time seriously imaging during a full moon.
  • First time using PHD2 on MacBook.

Processing is soooo much easier when you have lots of data! 

SW ED80, HEQ5, modded Canon 450D. Guided.

42 x 600s subs, 10 dark, 10 bias, 10 flats.

fb638e5425d902f8f0fc9b6764c14c45.1824x0_

Well done Matt, that's a lot of firsts and all great steps to take! The main thing is loads of data, as you say, it just makes it easier (well, less difficult!). As for DSO imaging with a DSLR around the full moon, you really have to choose your target carefully, making sure it's as far from the moon as possible. As Dave says, in this country we just can't be choosey - when the sky is clear you have to get out there, however much moon there is. Great image, great work!

Good. Personally I don't image in broadband with any moonlight around because I find it does get into the result, but I dare say that if the moonlight is not out performùing the LP it might not matter so much. I don't know. Anyway this seems to have worked!

Multi night and flip combinations really knock the noise on the head because of the inherent dither effect.

I'd just suggest looking at the colour balance which is very red here.

Olly

Even with my limited experience, I have picked up that with the UK weather, when its clear, you go outside!

Hadn't considered that the flip/multi-night approach would reduce noise. Interesting - thanks. Also, now you mention the red, it is obvious, whereas I hadn't really noticed before. The mind is a curious thing...

I also did another first by trying to process this data with PixInsight today. Quite an experience, and certainly not red...

Even with my limited experience, I have picked up that with the UK weather, when its clear, you go outside!

You'll have a very limited astro career if you don't!  It really sucks to miss a clear night due to work/life/beer etc, they can be so far between...

You'll have a very limited astro career if you don't!  It really sucks to miss a clear night due to work/life/beer etc, they can be so far between...

Yep, not like we're up a mountain in France with 365 clear nights a year  :evil:

Dave

Archived