Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Astronomy Club

Trevor Little & I are looking into opening an Astronomy Club in the Brighton area. We both live in the area and when we first met, through the SGL, we both commented on the fact that there was no active Astronomy Society in Brighton. We both subsequently joined a Worthing Society which is very good but a fair way to travel. Our aim is to open one in the Shoreham - Southwick area which will be named "The Adur Astronomy Club" (Adur being the District) our aims will include the following.

The main aim is to keep the evenings simple, more hands on than theory, so many lecture I have sat through without understanding a word

To encourage Newbies as well as experienced Astronomers

No Telescope need, we will have our own eventually

To include imaging and processing as well as viewing

Demonstration of imaging and other techniques hopefully by more experienced members

Sharing of ideas and techniques etc

Open to all ages and disabled

Hands on Astronomy with viewing evenings (adjacent area available)

Interesting talks and lectures which are understandable by all

Member contributions with talks, techniques etc

Presentation of members images

Easy free parking

and other ideas subject to the members wishes.

We will attempt to keep the subs low ( about £20.00 PA) and will meet once per month.

Trev & I are now looking for Founder Members and hopefully a Sponsor to help us start up. We will register with the BAA as a Society but call ourselves a Club ( a more friendly and less serious title)

If you are interested in a small friendly Club or have a question please Post or PM me or Trev.

Robin

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robin

What happened to the original Brighton AS. I was a member back in the 1980s when I live there - regretably Ken Marcus and Betty Smith died and I lost contact with everyone else.

The club had a good membership back then and the public lecture were well attended too.

I wish you much success

Scotastro

Hi

I attended the Brighton Club about a year ago and it seems that the Club had folded due to no one wanting to run it but there was still money in the Bank So they held meetings paying for lecturers with the money until it ran out, then nothing happened. I don't know if it is running or not, on the last meeting I went to they still had not found anyone will to help run it. Sad for a City as big as Brighton

Robin

Hi Robin it could be worth while looking at SGAS it is run by all the southern Astromony Societies I think there are about 27 Societies, if you would like more info send me an email and I will get one of the committee to contact you :hello1:

Stepehn

• 1 month later...

ADUR ASTRONOMICAL

SOCIETY

Hon President Sir Patrick Moore CBE, FRS, FRAS.

Hon Chairman Mr Robin Durant.

Hon Secretary Mr Trevor Little.

This is a new group that will meet every 3rd Thursday of the month at Southwick Community Centre, Southwick Street, Southwick from 19-30 hours.

Our first introductory meeting will be 22nd May from

7-30pm in the Barn Theatre

Southwick Community Centre.

Sir Patrick Moore our Hon President will be present at this meeting.

Peter Lawrence one of the worlds most respected imagers and writer for the Sky at Night Magazine will be giving a talk and showing some recent images.

Pete is also a regular on the BBC Sky at Night Programme.

Guest Speakers will include.

Ed Sampson, Janet Young, Brian Halls.

Tickets will be on the door at a cost of £5 per person.

Application forms and more information on the new Society will also be available during the evening.

http://www.modernastronomy.com/

Just want to thank Trev and Robin for the idea of setting up Adur and mentioning here on SGL. Today, I noticed a post from an old Brighton member now residing in Scotland. You guys have already done well by bringing together, after over 20 years, two good friends! SGL certainly works.

Thanks and many cheers to Adur and SGL. :sunny: :hello1:

Jan

Thanks Trev for carrying out the work on advertising the Society while I was away in Venice on my Hols.

To all you Sussex Astronomers, please come along and join us in what will prove to be a cracking Society.

It would help Trev & I if we had some indication of numbers who may attend from the Forum itself.

Robin

Good luck with the new club,i know what its like setting up a new club i helped set up the Nelson Astronomical Society near Portsmouth back in 1988 when the Hampshire Astronomical Group moved from its club house on Portsdown hill up to Clanfield a small band brokeaway to form Nelson, we ran for a few years but our clubroom was the victim of an arson attack and we never recovered the club folded soon afterwards i,ve often thought about forming a new club but never got round to it due to work and family commitments so i wish you all the best and hope to pop allong some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived