Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Paul_C

Replacing a Dobsonian Mount

Hi all

I have a Skywatcher 8 inch Dobsonian telescope and the mount (rocker box) is damaged. Is it possible to buy a replacement for this, I can't find one online anywhere.
Alternatively is it possible to buy other mounts that are suitable to fit the telescope I have to it.

Thanks

A dob is a nothing more than a newtonian - so with a some scope rings etc you can mount it on an EQ mount (check the max weight).

Making a dob base is straight forward - I know people here make them (DIY subform). Alternative you could ask the likes of Orion Optics Ltd as I see they have dob mounts for theirs.

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll check out the rings and weight. I saw the Orion Optics mount but wasn't sure what you were getting for the money from the not very good picture of the product. It looks like you have to purchase separate rings as well making the whole thing more expensive than buying a new Scope.
Might look at other mounts and possible motorised ones which will add extra functionailty anyway

Paul_C.....hi.......Could you trace around the original part and cut a new box in ply or  similar, it may even look better with a pattern, woodgrain effect ?

"All the extra functionality" you mention. I bet you'll  wish you still had the simplicity of the Dob mount (rocker box) after a few sessions, if you upgrade to an EQ system ?

Edited by Charic

If it were me, I would try and make another Dob base. You could modify it to suit your style, for example I wish my base had a bit more height to it (without ending up top heavy).

However, that being said, putting the newt on a GoTo sounds good. Probably expensive though.

Mark

I found myself in a similar situation in that I had a 10" Sky-Watcher Newtonian that I rarely used for imaging so I decided to build my own Dobsonian base for it for use at star parties and for general outreach - a very satisfying project it was too and it cost about £100.00 all in. The December and January issues of the Sky at Night magazine carry my article on how I built it.

post-1029-0-42562700-1417889941.png

• Like 5

Thanks Charic, it's the round base that's had it and won't turn easily. I suppose a jigsaw and a steady hand and I could do it though I have no idea what to use for smooth rotation (it has pads and not ball bearings).

You're probably right about the simplicity, it is why I bought the scope in the first place, simple and cheap with lots of light gathering power for your money.

Though it would be nice to attach a camera and take some long exposures while it's tracking.

I'm just surprised that you can't seem to simply buy a replacement base unit.

That's impressive Global M. Not sure my carpentry skills would be up to it but I get the magazine and I'll take a look

Thanks Charic, it's the round base that's had it and won't turn easily. I suppose a jigsaw and a steady hand and I could do it though I have no idea what to use for smooth rotation (it has pads and not ball bearings).

You're probably right about the simplicity, it is why I bought the scope in the first place, simple and cheap with lots of light gathering power for your money.

Though it would be nice to attach a camera and take some long exposures while it's tracking.

I'm just surprised that you can't seem to simply buy a replacement base unit.

A Jigsaw won't give you the smooth curve. A Router setup with a piece of wood to guide it (i.e. the router is bolted to it, and the centre is bolted).

You can make it out of one rectangle. Bolt the centre of the circle with the router - then route the circle out - you'll then have two side pieces of the base.

Next take another rectangle - this time make the circle (other side) on one side to fit. The other side of the rectangle then gives you the front of the base. 

Third rectangle in two gives you the bottom two sections.

it's the round base that's had it and won't turn easily.

Could you give us a little more detail on what's wrong with the base circle? There are many SW Dob owners who've made modifications to improve the azimuth movement (I've personally done a 200p, 250px and a 300p). I've added ball bearings (200p) and removed them (300p) and always added more teflon sliders. I spray the chipboard coating above the sliders with an unusual dry lubricant called Sailkote, and the friction and smoothness of movement are pretty good now.
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind making a dob base like that one day.

I bought the s@n mag to get the details and keep the plans . Looks nice but not over complicated.

Perhaps a summer project.

Could you give us a little more detail on what's wrong with the base circle? There are many SW Dob owners who've made modifications to improve the azimuth movement (I've personally done a 200p, 250px and a 300p). I've added ball bearings (200p) and removed them (300p) and always added more teflon sliders. I spray the chipboard coating above the sliders with an unusual dry lubricant called Sailkote, and the friction and smoothness of movement are pretty good now.

Hi Avocette. Thanks for your reply

It's the circular rotating base that's split ( I left it outside to my shame).

I was hoping for the easy option of a replacement base but it doesn't seem possible without spending more money than the Scope costs in total!

Like Rory above, I've looked at the replies on this thread and I think I am going to attempt to build a new one from scratch. Routers (recommended above) are a bit expensive but I may be able to hire one I guess.

I didn't even know what the anti friction sliders were made of but now I do, teflon and that is readily available and I have a can of WD 40 anti friction dry spray which I believe is a good product and at work I have a 8 ft square piece of ply that I was loathe to throw away and now it seems I may have a use for it  :smiley: .

Thank you to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply. I will attempt to build one I think. It won't be a work of art I don't think but nothing ventured....

If you are fond of the Dobsonian principle (and have the cash), this is

another possibility... Courtesy friendly neighbour global mod, John. :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/65923-orion-optics-10-alt-azimuth-mounted/

Heavier duty Giro type mounts are capable of taking significant weight...

preferably balanced with suitable counterweights, second scope etc. ;)

Edited by Macavity