SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Back in Black.

Daniel-K

Finally after what seems a very long 6 months without a scope i have got my self a stunning 16" F4.5. Housed is a meade 16" mirror which was bought from ABS at a very good price.This mirror was suppose to go in the sumerian Alkaid but after the issues i had it had to be returned.

A few emails took place and Alan aka rusty split agreed to come to my rescue. some ideas where thrown about and i decided that i would leave him to crack on with a design he felt would be strong and yet somewhat compact.

i had OO make me a custom spider and secondary with a kendrick dew heater applied. This took the longest to arrive nearly 8 weeks  :eek:

I decided on a feather touch with the integrated parrcor which was ordered direct from the states. this took 3 weeks to arrive, but i just had to have it after using swampthings and faulksy's at dobfest.

Alan was great keeping me informed and sending pics of the progress.

Yyesterdaygot up at 3AM to make the 4.5hr drive down to pick up my scope. After a coffee Alan took the cover off and i think by the huge smile on my face it was more than what i had expected.

the first thing that struck me was how well he had finished everything off. every tiny little detail was perfect.The movement of the scope in both Axis are very smooth and positive. i knew straight away after grabbing hold of the truss pole to "nudge that it was built extremely well. it just had a rock solid feel to it and the balance was perfect.

The mirror cell was handmade by Alan aswell and it has a drop down hinge from the back of the mirror box to make a easy removal.

I managed a brief first light last night but with conditions being poor it was really just a run to the forest to set up the scope and test it out. The scope holds collimation very well and is a pleasure to collimate. you can really get it accurate the way he has done the cell. ( not sure what he done though  :confused:  ) 

it takes less than 10mins to set up & put down far faster than the sumerian Alkaid which took me nearly and hour to figure out how to put it together. 

It took me 6hours to get home on friday due to theM25 & M6 so a total of 10.5 hours driving but include my stops it was 12 hours on the road! by the time i got home my butt cheeks where tingling! it was well worth it Alan truly is a top craftsman. just wish i could write a better review my vocabulary isnt so expansive.  

Lots of pics but SGL keeps turning them side ways for some reason???

ONE PROUD OWNER OF A RUSTY 16" F4.5 ORIGINAL :D

post-6284-0-04542100-1417866213.jpg

post-6284-0-69606700-1417866234.jpg

post-6284-0-55933400-1417866263.jpg

post-6284-0-29034500-1417866275.jpg

post-6284-0-45514000-1417866909.jpg

post-6284-0-04342200-1417866935.jpg

post-6284-0-17932900-1417866978_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-99865300-1417867028.jpg

post-6284-0-55736500-1417867053.jpg

post-6284-0-51419700-1417868994.jpg

post-6284-0-41810100-1417869006.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mate, that is absolutely gorgeous. Alan has really excelled himself on this. (well done alan). So my next question is.....When are you taking it to the lake?

oh, almost forgot...it'll look even better when you mount the camera  :evil:  (sorry, couldn't resist)

Mate, that is absolutely gorgeous. Alan has really excelled himself on this. (well done alan). So my next question is.....When are you taking it to the lake?

oh, almost forgot...it'll look even better when you mount the camera  :evil:  (sorry, couldn't resist)

last quarter i rekon :D  

no no no scott stop trying to turn me!

Now THAT is a Dob. :)

So pleased for you Dan. csnt wait to see it and through it.

I know that many say looking at a scope is not important it's what one sees through it that counts but.......Why not have both and you've certainly got that.

Lovely scope, beautifully crafted.

Dobfest is gonna be more of scope beauty pageant at this rate :D

@Alan great job mate. ;)

Dan,

A nice review and well put together, it came across whilst I was reading it that you were happy and big words are only there to impress half wits like me. I have to also say that the work that Alan has done to what looks a very high standard comes out in the photos, so well done that man. I know you were up-set with the other scope but in the end good things come to those who wait.

Look forward to first light and your claim that you will beat Calvin and Mike to G1 and Mayall 2, you have to now you have that scope.

Alan.

Dan,  Look forward to first light and your claim that you will beat Calvin and Mike to G1 and Mayall 2, you have to now you have that scope. Alan.

He should do Alan he knows exactly where it is........we observed it through mine last time we met up. ;)

Dan,

A nice review and well put together, it came across whilst I was reading it that you were happy and big words are only there to impress half wits like me. I have to also say that the work that Alan has done to what looks a very high standard comes out in the photos, so well done that man. I know you were up-set with the other scope but in the end good things come to those who wait.

Look forward to first light and your claim that you will beat Calvin and Mike to G1 and Mayall 2, you have to now you have that scope.

Alan.

Thanks Alan, i really am over the moon  :rolleyes:  with this scope. ive got a public event tonight at the forest where i observe from so it will be ice to show it off.

sweet...Hats off Alan wonderful work and detail on a fantastic scope.Danny's finally got a proper scope that i know will get what it needs.....night after night in the darkest skies that the UK has to offer. Happy now Dan??!!!..i would be!....now get that powermate 17 & 10 Ethos and your done. Bring on the photons :icon_eek:

Archived