Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beautiful low moon atm

kris h

Huge big fat happy face hanging over the horizon. Quite simply, a joy to see. And a topic of conversation with everyone I passed/met.

OK, everything else is washed out - but, come one everyone, this is something to be pleased about.

Isn't it?

p.s. I thought it wasn't full moon 'til tomorrow?

It was lovely earlier and still is now.

I quite enjoy studying the lunar surface with a scope even when it's fully illuminated and seeing if I can pick out features that I normally observe when they are close to the terminator. You can trace the rays from the major craters for hundreds of miles across the lunar surface and fine odd dark patches and structures amongst the brightly light terrain. It's interesting to have a different perspective on familliar landmarks :smiley:

Features such as the Messier and Messier A pair of craters are bright and easy to find but the Straight Wall is very ellusive when fully illuminated.

I'm a little peeved :grin:

It's been cloudy here for the best part of two weeks, so wouldn't you know that it clears up just as that big old fat Moon roles in. I swear the Moon and clouds have worked some cunning conspiracy against me :grin:

Anyway, mustn't grumble and all that, so last night I put on my best face and went out and did a little Jupiter and Callisto's shadow transit and also the Moon. Forget clusters, everything was washed out and after the upteenth double, I decided to call it a night.

Wouldn't you know, it's a clear night tonight, but I just cannot stomach another night with that mocking Moon beaming at me with its bright radiating face. I swear its laughing at me. Just look at it!. "Ha, ha." It's going. "You don't get to see naught tonight mate, only me, me, me."

Oooo, I could slap it, I could :laugh:.

Just come in from observing the Moon with the 12" Dob, didn't think I would see much detail but thought I would give it a go anyway.

I used the 10mm Delos without any filter but the view was just too bright and not very comfortable on the eye.

As I reached for the variable polarising filter in the case I somehow managed to pick up the deep red filter instead and thought whynot lets give it a go.

Wow what a surprise, the detail of the surface features just jumped out at me. I spent a good hour just cruising over the surface of the Moon admireing the view.

Avtar

Nice report Avtar :smiley:

I tried to give the Moon a slap from you Qualia but I could only manage a couple of winks, one for Neil Armstrong and one for Sir Patrick Moore :smiley:

Two men who have made the Moon a very special place for me.

I love viewing the Moon especially through the 12" Dob which is really my grab and go scope as I just wheel it out of the Summer House onto the patio.

I am probably in a minority here but I actually look forward to seeing the Moon in the sky as there are so many interesting features to see on it's surface.

Of course I also look foreward to the clear Moonless nights when I can observe all the other beautiful gems in the heavens.

Avtar

I'm a little peeved :grin:

It's been cloudy here for the best part of two weeks, so wouldn't you know that it clears up just as that big old fat Moon roles in. I swear the Moon and clouds have worked some cunning conspiracy against me :grin:

Anyway, mustn't grumble and all that, so last night I put on my best face and went out and did a little Jupiter and Callisto's shadow transit and also the Moon. Forget clusters, everything was washed out and after the upteenth double, I decided to call it a night.

Wouldn't you know, it's a clear night tonight, but I just cannot stomach another night with that mocking Moon beaming at me with its bright radiating face. I swear its laughing at me. Just look at it!. "Ha, ha." It's going. "You don't get to see naught tonight mate, only me, me, me."

Oooo, I could slap it, I could :laugh:.

Stop it Rob, you had me choking on the tea my dear wife had just bought me  :p

Archived