Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Lewis H

BST Starguider EP

I have been thinking about getting a BST starguider 18mm ep it go with my sky watcher explorer 200p newt. My budget is fairly limited, is this the right choice? I already have a 25 and 10mm ep's too.

Hello Lewis the BST star guider eye pieces get very good reviews on this forum I have a number of them in my collection that I use with my 200p. They are good value for money and feel like a quality product. I really noticed the difference with my observing and I would recommend them . Bought from Skies the limit via EBay I had no problem with the purchase. I have even heard the seller will accept a return if you are not happy with them . Give it a go what's not to lose best of luck in your choice

• Like 1

Thanks Sirius, I have had my eyes on one of these for a while now, especially after all of the positive reviews it gets. Thanks for the reply, I'll get it and hopefully won't regret it. Thanks

If you have a 25 then a 18 might be a little to close to it for you to feel the full benefit. Maybe the 15mm would be bettr and give you more options going forward. EG barlowed it would give you 7.5mm, the 25mm goes to 12.5mm, the 10, although not the best ep gives you 10 & 5mm. A lot of bases covered and a good spread. I would think the barlowed 15mm to 7.5mm in your scope would be a great planetary eyepiece.

steve

• Like 1

Whilst I don't agree that a 25mm and 18mm would be a little too close, I think Steve's suggestion of the 15mm, if you're on a budget, is a sound choice. You can always get the 18mm at a later date. :D

Do you have a 2x Barlow? If your 10mm is reasonably decent, then you might get away with that and a barlow, for those good nights.

Whilst I don't agree that a 25mm and 18mm would be a little too close, I think Steve's suggestion of the 15mm, if you're on a budget, is a sound choice. You can always get the 18mm at a later date. :D

Do you have a 2x Barlow? If your 10mm is reasonably decent, then you might get away with that and a barlow, for those good nights.

Thats what I meant actually ben although I didnt word it as such, but yes, the 15mm gives a better spread for now and add the 18mm later.

Lewis H.......hi there,.........I first chose the 8mm as a replacement for the supplied SW 10mm and the 18mm as replacement for the 25mm.

Their all good in my  f/6 (f/5.91) telescope. The 8mm and 12mm sits either side  of the SW10mm ( which I no longer use?) either one will  better the  standard SW 10mm. The  SW 25mm  you have is ok to keep. Its not wide enough for me  when viewing M31 Andromeda,  so I also invested in the Skywatcher 32mm Panaview, and from really dark skies, thats  an amazing EP.

The BST Starguider 12mm hits the sweet spot on my Skyliner, and can be Barlowed too, and still within decent practical limits.

My favourite BST Starguider,  the 8mm? Why!  simply it came first,  and offered  me the first wow! this is a  very good  eyepiece for £49, so I bought the rest. 

If you like one of them, you'll like the others  too, but there is no race to buy everything quickly. Enjoy what you have.

If it helps, get the 8mm.........no, the 12mm........wait!, no the 8mm?.........you decide?

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

Things'll be slightly different as I'm assuming Lewis' is the 1000mm explorer, not the skyliner, but I might be wrong. :D

Things'll be slightly different as I'm assuming Lewis' is the 1000mm explorer, not the skyliner, but I might be wrong. :D

Absolutely right......Their all good in my  f/6 (f/5.91) telescope was pointed out....

The Explorer with its f/5 may differ at the field edges, but the BSTs are fairly flat field across their field of view, and should still work effectively. It won't hurt to try them,  returning them if they don't work?

Aside from that, the SW 10mm and 25mm are the SAME EPs sold with either telescope, I dare say, there wouldn't be a great deal of difference between the scopes using the standard EPs, likewise with the BSTs, i could be corrected!

The 25mm ep I have isn't the stock one, although the 2x Barlow and 10mm are. I hadn't considered using the barlow, but maybe the 15mm bst might be better, as then it would offer 7.5mm too, unlike the 18mm which would offer 9mm which is very close to the 10mm ep I already have.

BSTs are definitely a step up from the stock though I quite liked my stock 25mm in the 130P. The 10mm was the first to be replaced by a 5mm BST but that might be more mag than you're interested in at the moment. You might want a higher mag EP for planetary details so the 8 or 15mm with Barlow capabilities might be a nice option. Enjoy choosing!

I would have said the 8mm. It will deliver a fair amount of magnification, but the 25mm you have is OK for locating things then the 8mm. A lot of people seem to think the 8mm is a good eyepiece,

As I tend to ignore barlows I generally discount them when someone asks which eyepiece. Just no idea on the quality of the barlow.

The 8mm and 12mm would both likely be good, the selection being a wider view or a bit more magnification.

That is for you to decide.

• Like 1

I would have said the 8mm. It will deliver a fair amount of magnification, but the 25mm you have is OK for locating things then the 8mm. A lot of people seem to think the 8mm is a good eyepiece,

As I tend to ignore barlows I generally discount them when someone asks which eyepiece. Just no idea on the quality of the barlow.

Good point raised by ronin. My earlier reference to getting a 15MM worked on the assumption you have a decent 2x barlow, thus giving you 15 and 7.5mm.

So I guess the question is do you have a barlow and if so, do yu know the name and /or quality?

If you have a good quality barlow I stick with my reference to a 15mm eyepiece as best choice given your current sellection. If not, then an 8mm as ronin said would be a great addition to whqat you already have.

steve

Hi Lewis,

I cannot really add to the great advice already given, except to say that I used the 8mm 12mm and 18mm  BST'S for a couple of years

in my 200P ,before upgrading. I regret very much selling the 18mm, there was no need to really. It gave a superb 139x when used with the Powermate 2.5x

For their cost, they represent excellent value.

Go for the 18mm , you will love it! :smiley:

Just to throw a spanner in the works - the 68-degree Maxvision 16mm are the same price as the BST's.

http://www.365astronomy.com/Explore-Scientific-Eyepieces/

Although the eye relief might be tighter, and you need to add a few pounds for postage, the extra 8-degrees might swing it for you.

Mine lives in the barlow all the time now, giving me 165x mag on the 200p dob.

I have 4 x BSTs and they are equally as good so I would not think about whether the 18mm is better than the 15mm, any difference will likely be down to conditions rather than the EP itself. My advice would be to buy based upon the magnification(s) you need, prioritise and get them as you have funds. As already stated the BSTs are a marked improvement over the stock EPs.