SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which DSLR??

Hi all!

Christmas is almost here and my parents have asked me what i would like, so as the title suggests, which DSLR should i suggest they get me. id prefer to stick to Canon as that's what ive been using for the past 2 years (Canon 1000D). 

I am nowhere near being a camera whizz, so are there any cameras that aren't exactly expert level but not a beginners camera?.

If possible could people suggest a good range of prices for me? with my parents paying i dont want them braking the bank.

Thanks!

Chris 

Hi Chris,

What do you think is missing from the 1000D that would be on a better DSLR...?   The 1000D offers a full range of exposure modes  same as you would find on a the higher cameras in the range...  What type of photography are you using it for is it just astro or a mix? What lens or lenses do you have at the moment?

Peter...

Hi Chris,

What do you think is missing from the 1000D that would be on a better DSLR...?   The 1000D offers a full range of exposure modes  same as you would find on a the higher cameras in the range...  What type of photography are you using it for is it just astro or a mix? What lens or lenses do you have at the moment?

Peter...

I just though that if the price or "Technology" in the camera is newer/better, if would give me some better results, the camera ive been using is my sisters, hence wanting one of my own. it would be used for astro stuff most of the time both attached to the scope and with lenses.

Technology has moved on but he 1000D was a remarkable  camera at the price in it's day...  I guess it's another Canon camera your after and ideally  bought new rather than secondhand...?

Basically Canon have 3 ranges of Camera's  in the "Consumer" range 3 and 4 digit before the  D  the 3 Digit cameras are higher spec than the 4digit ones and the higher the number the more recent the camera  there are exception like the 100D. It's  similar for the  "Prosumer" 2 digit before the D models  but reversed in the single digit "Pro"  ones where they use a roman numeral "Mark" number after the D to denote the generation of the camera... It gets more complicated when comparing cameras from the different ranges form different era's

Handling and build quality (weather sealing and ruggedness) improves as you move from one group to the other...

Peter...

If its going to be primarily for astrophotography then you should maybe consider asking for a modified DSLR. I got my modded 600D for around £350 and you can get a modded 1100D for quite a bit less. How much money would you be comfortable asking your parent to spend? That would help us make some more accurate suggestions i think.

Callum

There are a couple of dealers I would use if you do MPB Photographic (always my first port of call) , Park Camera and London camera exchange...  They will all offer you a  short warranty and MPB offer a cost option for a longer warranty upgrade.. If you buy anything above Exc level then it will be pretty much spot on...

I have bought lenses from MPB as well as you  head for Exc or higher and you will have a cracker...

Peter...

Archived