Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Space Cowboy

Jupiter GRS Dec 3rd

Poor seeing this morning (whats new!) so only took 3 avis from 6.08 to 6.18ut. Stacked best 500 frames from each debayered in PIPP and derotated in winjupos.  Bit of a sow's ear really but beggars can't be choosers!

Auto Dob 250 & QHY5L-II C :

gallery_4016_230_12075.png

• Like 11

Very nice impressive image loads going on there 

Kevin

Very nice image in trying conditions Stuart, i just saw the grs coming around on the limb but by then was packing up to go to work, just my luck lol!

Well done Stuart for perseverance in poor seeing. The conditions are just not playing ball yet are they...I know star twinkling can not be taken as a totally reliable indicator for poor seeing but in my experience if they are flickering away like crazy then it is usually poor and they have been doing this a lot of late!!

Pete

I'd just like to add that it's still a very nice Jupiter!!

Pete

Thanks guys! They are twinkling away again tonight Pete! Seems to be the clearer the sky the worse the seeing these past months.

I've been using some selective sharpening on the above image which has brought out some of the main detail a little more :

post-4016-0-72277600-1417641259.png

Good job all the same Stuart despite the crappy seeing. Seeing is poor here as well Stuart :sad: Didn`t attempt Jupiter last evening but had a go at a few lunar shots - seeing was shimmering and wobbling all over the place.

Best regards,

Ralph

Thanks guys! They are twinkling away again tonight Pete! Seems to be the clearer the sky the worse the seeing these past months.

I've been using some selective sharpening on the above image which has brought out some of the main detail a little more :

attachicon.gifJUP GRS DEC 3RD.png

Prefer the selective sharpening shot. It does help pick out the detail more ( I found my glasses ) Those white ovals look interesting over Red Junior. We need some good seeing to get a good look at them. It almost looks like they are merging on your shot ?

500 frames a piece that's very low frame count, is your gain quite low ? mine are noisy at 4000 lately. But that was with poor trans

.....hmm, just said to Simon something like "as I just said to Stuart" - must've forgot to hit the "Post" button lol.

Here goes again, "pretty reasonable in the circumstances Stuart and well-processed especially for those conditions - we're all hoping for something decent down the track!" :)

Nicely done Stuart as usual. The conditions will improve I am sure as the weather gets colder. - Brrrrrrr. Trouble is: 'Blink and you'll miss it'!!

Regards

Harvey

That's a great image for poor seeing conditions Stuart :-)

At least your getting clear sky's all im getting is clouds and fog down here !!!

Thanks again fellas!

Gain was 40% Neil and the image is 500 x3 so 1500 from about 25000 altogether. Don't normally stack so few but the result seemed better than larger stacks. Still can't believe I hadn't figured selective sharpening before now its very useful on softer data. That oval formation looks cool Neil for sure and hopefully we will get a better look when/if conditions improve!

Nicely done Stuart, the selective sharpening has made quite a difference.

Angie