SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter GRS Dec 3rd

Space Cowboy

Well done Stuart for perseverance in poor seeing. The conditions are just not playing ball yet are they...I know star twinkling can not be taken as a totally reliable indicator for poor seeing but in my experience if they are flickering away like crazy then it is usually poor and they have been doing this a lot of late!!

Pete

Thanks guys! They are twinkling away again tonight Pete! Seems to be the clearer the sky the worse the seeing these past months.

I've been using some selective sharpening on the above image which has brought out some of the main detail a little more :

post-4016-0-72277600-1417641259.png

Good job all the same Stuart despite the crappy seeing. Seeing is poor here as well Stuart :sad: Didn`t attempt Jupiter last evening but had a go at a few lunar shots - seeing was shimmering and wobbling all over the place.

Best regards,

Ralph

Thanks guys! They are twinkling away again tonight Pete! Seems to be the clearer the sky the worse the seeing these past months.

I've been using some selective sharpening on the above image which has brought out some of the main detail a little more :

attachicon.gifJUP GRS DEC 3RD.png

Prefer the selective sharpening shot. It does help pick out the detail more ( I found my glasses ) Those white ovals look interesting over Red Junior. We need some good seeing to get a good look at them. It almost looks like they are merging on your shot ?

500 frames a piece that's very low frame count, is your gain quite low ? mine are noisy at 4000 lately. But that was with poor trans

.....hmm, just said to Simon something like "as I just said to Stuart" - must've forgot to hit the "Post" button lol.

Here goes again, "pretty reasonable in the circumstances Stuart and well-processed especially for those conditions - we're all hoping for something decent down the track!" :)

Thanks again fellas!

Gain was 40% Neil and the image is 500 x3 so 1500 from about 25000 altogether. Don't normally stack so few but the result seemed better than larger stacks. Still can't believe I hadn't figured selective sharpening before now its very useful on softer data. That oval formation looks cool Neil for sure and hopefully we will get a better look when/if conditions improve!

Archived