Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

xmas eyepieces

algol

Been told today that I am getting at least fifty quid in the monetary department for the approaching Yule celebrations. With that in mind I am looking at picking up a new eyepiece.

I currently have the 10mm and 25mm eyepiece that came with the dob and while I am happy with the 25mm the 10mm gives a washed out view on fuzzies and the mag isn't perfect on planets etc.

Initial thoughts are to pick up the 8mm bst starguider from skys the limit. This will give better mag and from what I've gleaned from other's better contrast also.

The other option is the 12mm bst that I can Barlow to 6mm.

Any other options would be greatly appreciated. I can go above the amount stated above if necessary.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I use a 6mm Vixen SLV as my primary planetary eyepiece in my 250px, which is the same focal length as the 200p, so I reckon having a 6mm available is good - a nice x200. In good conditions Jupiter looks lovely. So I'm going to plump for the 12mm BST. It's my favourite of the BSTs (followed by the 5mm), whereas my 8mm feels a little soft, though I know others who really rate it. And like you say, 12mm and a x2 barlow is a useful power.

Either or, you will probably own both oneday! Both can be Barlowed to good effect. I chose a WO 6mm to have one primary eyepiece, to match the telescopes focal ratio. If there was a 6mm BST it too would be in my collection. I first chose the 8mm BST as the first replacement of the SW 10mm. There isnt an EP that I dont use in the BST range! I've owned a 6mm TMB II but the fov was too narrow for my liking, the WO just feels right, although I still need to get out and give the 6mm WO a proper session. Clear skies here last two nights but too cold to venture out after almost ridding my flu like symptoms and annoying bronchial cough?

If I had an 8" Newt and £50 spare, I'd put the £s in my sock drawer and start scouring the secondhand market for three tasty eyepieces, one with a magnification of around 50x, one around 90x, and the other around 120x. I'd also be looking for eyepieces with a decent amount of field as view (60º+).

Seeing as I already had a good 25mm that would suffice for now, I'd start by looking for an eyepiece on the secondhand market that either gave me around 2mm exit pupil or one that gave around 2.8mm. These two eyepieces would become my workhorses, my most used.

If looking for my tasty eyepiece set up meant keeping that fifty quid to one side and adding a little more to the stack as time goes by or asking everyone at Xmas to give me just a little cash, so be it. For example, I know that with around £50 I can buy something like a TeleVue Plossl but between £100 to £130, I should be able to pick up a Radian and if I added between £20 and £50 to that amount, I'm onto the Nagler and Delos range!

While I'm on my mission, I'd not only get to learn more about the night sky, not only appreciate and evaluate the kit I already had, not only build up and nurture my child-like sense of anticipation as I slowly saved up, but I'd also know that these premium eyepieces will become an essential part of my gear and will last me years and years. That in the long term, I'm saving myself money and time by not ever having to 'upgrade' in the future and I'm also adding to my comfort of mind - which is so important - acknowledging that this end of my optical kit is going to be about as good as it is going to get.

To this three eyepiece set up, I'd also be looking at purchasing a premium x2 Barlow. In that way, I'd have magnifications of 50x, 90x, 100x, 120x, 180x, and 240x which would cover me for most of my DSO viewing during all the seasons.

Thanks for the replies guys, thinking now that the 12 mm bst May be best bet, something I have been also looking at is to get a 32mm maybe for open clusters and large fuzzies. What's the best budget 32mm prob in the 50-60 pound range? As my birthday is in February also

couple of ideas for a wide angle eyepice of differing costs.

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Revelation_30mm_Widefield_Eyepiece_2_.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-eyepieces/william-optics-swan-eyepiece.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p807_GS-SuperView-30mm-2--Wide-Angle-Erfle-Eyepiece---68-Degrees.html

I hve had a Revelation and the views were quite pleasant and it is quite inexpensive although I dont know much about the other two.

I would think  the design for all three is the same by the looks. If you on a budget I would plump for the Revelation as your F6 will be reasonable forgiving of the optics and the views would be superb for low power/ wide filed deep sky object viewing. 40x magnification and 1.7 tfov will cope with almost all but the biggest DSO's.

If you want to spend your full 50-60 pounds then the Teleskop express version will fill that with the current exchange rate.

If you want the biggest field of view and can go the extra £24 on your 60 the WOptics gives a shade under 2 degrees at x36.

hth 

steve

Maybe someone can comment better as to which will have the best overall quality. (I think there wont be that much in them all but that's my own opinion)

If I had an 8" Newt and £50 spare, I'd put the £s in my sock drawer and start scouring the secondhand market for three tasty eyepieces, one with a magnification of around 50x, one around 90x, and the other around 120x. I'd also be looking for eyepieces with a decent amount of field as view (60º+).

Seeing as I already had a good 25mm that would suffice for now, I'd start by looking for an eyepiece on the secondhand market that either gave me around 2mm exit pupil or one that gave around 2.8mm. These two eyepieces would become my workhorses, my most used.

If looking for my tasty eyepiece set up meant keeping that fifty quid to one side and adding a little more to the stack as time goes by or asking everyone at Xmas to give me just a little cash, so be it. For example, I know that with around £50 I can buy something like a TeleVue Plossl but between £100 to £130, I should be able to pick up a Radian and if I added between £20 and £50 to that amount, I'm onto the Nagler and Delos range!

While I'm on my mission, I'd not only get to learn more about the night sky, not only appreciate and evaluate the kit I already had, not only build up and nurture my child-like sense of anticipation as I slowly saved up, but I'd also know that these premium eyepieces will become an essential part of my gear and will last me years and years. That in the long term, I'm saving myself money and time by not ever having to 'upgrade' in the future and I'm also adding to my comfort of mind - which is so important - acknowledging that this end of my optical kit is going to be about as good as it is going to get.

To this three eyepiece set up, I'd also be looking at purchasing a premium x2 Barlow. In that way, I'd have magnifications of 50x, 90x, 100x, 120x, 180x, and 240x which would cover me for most of my DSO viewing during all the seasons.

While I agree that Televue are supposedly market brand  leaders, there will be other eyepieces that do as well for a lot less, especially when no-one has oodles of cash sitting around. I  recently tried the  8mm  Televue Plossl and still prefer the 8mm Starguider, the BST Starguider has a better feel and is more comfortable in use than the Televue Plossl  for my eyes and on my middleground f/6 telescope, where  I get good results.

If I owned a Fiat 500, the sticker on the boot would say, " My other car is a  Bentley Continental GT"  I know which one I would like, both get the job done. Its the same pleasure of owning a Rolex. I think there is no finer practical  mechanical watch for me than the GMT Master II, but my OM Seiko holds better time? and is immensely cheaper!

Rolex vs. Seiko - Televue vs Starguider? They both get the job done. 

If Televue are the best, ultimate, end -of -road eyepieces to have, and love,  isn't there a   telescope  to match? An eyepiece, whatever the make brand works well for some folk on some scopes, but won't suit everyone, I could go on all night. 

I may get excited one Day when I view through an Ethos on a 16" reflector, but until then, I suffer gladly with my  <£343 BST eyepiece collection. Will £343 buy me an Ethos........Lol Lol Lol Lol keep on saving!

I think it is worth taking a look at the Explore Scientific 70° series - I have the 20mm (which I am about to sell for £30ish) and I think they are excellent value even at the retail price.

£343 will buy you an ethos that for sure.There is a second hand market for that.Also you can get a Ex Sc 100 degree range for a bit less money and still have a change left over for a couple of rounds in a pub.Not everything has to be Televue or Bentley you know :)

I assume you still love your Pentax XO 5mm Dude ?. Thats got to be a cut above even a Bentley hasn't it ? :smiley:

Cheap for around £250 used though, I reckon. Though they don't come up too often :rolleyes2:

I assume you still love your Pentax XO 5mm Dude ?. Thats got to be a cut above even a Bentley hasn't it ? :smiley:

Cheap for around £250 used though, I reckon. Though they don't come up too often :rolleyes2:

yes I do like it a lot John and that eye piece is not going anywhere any time soon or maybe also never.Is it a cut above bentley? I dont know,never had a Bentley :D

yes I do like it a lot John and that eye piece is not going anywhere any time soon or maybe also never.Is it a cut above bentley? I dont know,never had a Bentley :D

My mate had a Rolls Royce for a while. I'd rather have my eyepieces and my old Volvo :grin:

As much as it is very nice to receive new eyepieces and myself I would like to find a 4.7mm E in my Christmas stocking, unlikely as I have not bought myself one yet. However I think above all it would be nice if we all had some good clear skies so we could use the ones we already have, snow for tomorrow so they say :embarassed: .

Calvin,

That is not an eyepiece though. I hope that it is not ready for then as I remember from my days at the factory here where I used to work that the even the couriers around here had a rush of brains to the head and many things went pear shaped.

My address is not one that fills me full of hope, the first two lines are; House 15, 3rd Road. If it shows up at your place point him south-eastwards. :smiley:

I really would just like to get outside it's depressing and I have far too much homemade brandy.

Aaln

Archived