Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Gas_mantle

NEQ6 goto - poor instructions.

Hi all,

Just having my first nights observing using my shiny new NEQ6 :smiley: but struggling a bit with the goto hand set instructions.

Anyone else find the menus on the handset are difficult to navigate ? I seem to keep getting to parts of the menu where it gets difficult to go back to the beginning if I'm in the wrong menu selection.

Does anyone know if there is a more user friendly instruction manual online ?

Also, when observing using the goto search after I've centered  objects in the eyepiece is there anyway to tell the mount each time that the object is now centered so that the mount can continually recalibrate itself and improve its accuracy ?

I'm new to the Goto system and can see it's going to take sometime to get the hang of it !

Anyway, time to have a cuppa while I wait for my first siting of Jupiter through a scope for years :smiley:

Thanks

Peter.

You will get used to it, the " Escape Key" takes you back a move every time its pressed...

Pointing Accuracy Enhancement, page 35 in the latest manual downloadable from the Skywatcher.com

Something you'll have to get used to I afraid. That said - once you get to know your way around the handset they are actually rather good and packed with features like polar alignment tweaking. 

First time out it can be a bit daunting but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

My advice would be to play around in doors where its warm during the day and just fiddle about - its a lot tougher when its cold and dark and its easy to let the stress of wanting it to do stuff get in the way of learning it.

I was a little flummoxed to start with as I kept hitting the wrong button due to being used to the Meade.

I'm still not perfect but I am improving.

Agree with the comments above. I found the manual quite easy if a bit long. It will soon become second nature. As Tinker says the Escape key is just that, an escape. Note that the PAE only corrects within about 5' of the object you are dealing with at the time. It basically remaps that area of the sky. How was Jupiter??

Agree with the comments above. I found the manual quite easy if a bit long. It will soon become second nature. As Tinker says the Escape key is just that, an escape. Note that the PAE only corrects within about 5' of the object you are dealing with at the time. It basically remaps that area of the sky. How was Jupiter??

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I'll get used to it after a few more nights, it's clear sky here in Yorkshire at the mo so hopefully I'll get another few hours out tonight :smiley:

As for Jupiter, it's the first time I've seen it through a scope for years (I've had a break from astronomy and only recently returned to it), I could make out the some of the belts but my 10" newt is as old as Gods' dog and is showing it's limitations.

I'm intending to buy a new scope early next year so the 10" is only a stop gap for a month or 2. I'm hoping to have a go at astrophotography, hence I bought the NEQ6 and looking now at an ED80 as an imaging scope.

Peter.