Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Welcome back to me

Astro_Baby

I have been away a lot, partly health and personal reasons but also weather has been atrocious.  Is it just me - last year I kept a log and the number of cloud free nights without a moon were ridiculously small.  This year I haven't been out once as every single night I have been free has been rubbish and it looks like its continuing.

As astro has been a downer I have been concentrating on rocketry which at least only needs calm conditions and its been a blast but its expensive to keep seeing £60 go up in smoke or fly into a tree.

Hope to see you guys again soon, assuming we EVER get a clear night on Ranmore.

How do you do. In that time I have referred to your HEQ5 pro rebuild 3 times so thanks for that. My mount now sings very well. I also splashed out on a used Dob and quickly became the worlds expert in collimation thanks to one of your other guides. It's clear here tonight if that's any consolation!

Well the astro thing got me down in the end, combined with health problems it all got too much for me to be honest so I thought it best to push off.

I am still doing stuff for my site - I have some articles I want to get round to including the all singing, all dancing guide to setting up polar alignment which always causes beginners so much heartache.  I also have a power distribution box I am working on (Mk 2 version as I am unhappy with the version I have) plus a fair few other projects but its amazing how rusty you get on astro when removed from it for a bit.  I can see setting up will be fun when I next go out as I have forgotten loads.

I was on holiday in Greece a few momths back and, wonder of wonder we had a clear sky, I was looking up and REALLY struggling to find anything at all - ummm thats Jupiter, or maybe Venus - ummm not sure now - let me see POlaris is about there (or is it ?):embarrassed:   - it was quite amazing how much had just drained out of my brain :)

Down here in the west country last winter and this one so far have been dreadful, astronomy-wise.  I've found it quite shocking to go outside for the first time in a month or more and not know where everything is in the sky because it's so long since I last saw it.

In fact it's been all too common that I didn't actually have any idea what phase of the Moon it was because it had been so long since I last saw it :(

We do a fine trade in impenetrable cloud though...

James

Hi and welcome back, you've been sorely missed.

And yes, the weather has been rubbish of late, see some of the threads on it, quite a number of us have muttered about selling up and finding another hobby.

Archived