SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light - Elephants Trunk (IC1396A)

AndrewG

We finally had some clear nights over the past couple of weeks so I managed to grab some photons, decided on IC1396 to give a first real go with my new kit:-

IC 1396A - Elephants Trunk

The image is stacked with 12 x 1200s Ha subs taken over a couple of nights,  processed with Pixinsight.

Hopefully if we get some more clear nights soon I can add more data and some narrow band colour given my Ian King order is on it way!!!!!!  The O2 and SI filters coming tomorrow with screwed spacers / connections to connect the camera to scope (to make a more rigid connection to try and prevent flexure - thanks Barry for highlighting this in another post!), and also one of those Lakeside Focusers!

What do you think and thanks for looking?

Andrew

Thanks all for the great comments.

Wuthton & Knight of Clear Skies thanks for the heads up with Kappa-Sigma Clipping, will definitely give it a go with the left out subs.

Hopefully some clear sky tonight!!

Andrew

That's a great image with some lovely detail.

Pete

Great first light with all your new kit.  You must be delighted.

Barry

Cheers Pete and Barry..

Yes indeed I am very delighted :grin: and would say the main reason is that the kit just works;  it is now far les frustrating than it used to be (except for the weather that is!) .   

A really good first light Andrew, on what I would'nt call an easy target. agree with the other guys Kappa Sigma seems the way to go. I must just say elle does seem to be a magnet for trails, this single sub was stacked using sigma in aa5 and not a trail insight now!

post-11370-0-22230600-1418056210_thumb.p

AstroArt5 has a demon Sigma routine. Every single one of my dozens of WItchead subs had big sats. The stack had none.

That is a really fine first light. Focus, tracking, signal, processing... all right on the button.

Olly

Cheers Olly for the great remarks. 

Now I guess all I need is more data to get some false colour into it :grin: ,  being up north though means it ain't easily done as the one variable we cannot control is that pesky weather.

I hope Santa can bring some clear skies over the festive season :icon_santa: !

Archived