SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Motor Drives

Caz

I was wondering, is it a neccessity to have dual axis controls, or would a single do? Theres one little problem I have with the thought of a motor though, the batteries, I don't want to have to replace them constantly, so is there a way around this?

Its funny how my views have changed since getting the scope, I thought I could make do without motors, but considering I want some higher ep's, a motor is the way to go. Saturn is already moving at pace at 200 mag, as you know.... :shock:

Theres probably already a thread on this kind of question, but couldn't find it... :lol:

You could get away with a RA motor as long as you are perfectly polar aligned.

Im sure someone will correct me if i am wrong but motors cost about £50

for a set which will give you RA & DEC.

A little advice here don't skimp on this sort of thing as they are the bits that

make all the difference.

One drive is fine Caz, the only problem is that you will have to start again if you ever want to have two as the hand controllers and connectors are different. Skies the Limit sell a dual drive system for £70 which is about the same price as you'd get a single drive for anywhere else.

The EQ5 motors are pretty ecomonical on the batteries but you could always get one of those portable PoweStations or rechargeable batteries....

Also I'd recommened you get a lower power eyepiece before you get a highter ones, theres been some OK 32mm Celestron Plossels up on Ebay for £15, it'll be easier to find faint objects (M78 :lol:) with lower magnification (brigher objects) and a bigger FOV.

[quote author=SkyGuy link=topic=2500.msg25687#msg25687 date=11379419

Im sure someone will correct me if i am wrong but motors cost about £50

for a set which will give you RA & DEC.

I think dual drives from Sherwoods are about £130......RA only are about £70.

Caz,

I have just the one drive (RA). As long as you're Polar aligned then it's fine. With the EQ mounts they are designed to be polar aligned, so if you have dual axis drives and the mount is not polar aligned you'll spend most of the night slewing around with the hand controller trying to keep the target in the eyepiece instead of studying the object.

Wait until you get the patio done and have a go at polar aligning and tracking with one, the RA axis drive. If you're polar alignment is fairly good you won't need the DEC drive.

I'll get my coat.......

Greg

Caz,

If you ever go the route of planetary imaging, the DEC drive will become a must. Or even high power visual, it's such a joy having both axis powered. It doesn't matter how well you polar align, a high powered planet, especially when imaging, will drift out. And it doesn't matter how lightly you try and correct the DEC with the manual slow motion, the image (visual or imaging) dances all over the place. Completely hands free is the only way with an EQ5 that has the 8" Newt on board.

I would also highly recommend a second accessory too. The Orion USA Accufocus. It's an electric focus upgrade for your scope and an absolute must! No more vibrations when focusing, completely enhances the enjoyment of using your scope. And only £42.

This would make you scope hands free and vibration free.....joy! :lol:

The Skies Unlimited drives are not made by Synta but should fit the Synta (Skywatcher) EQ5. The pictures on the Skiesunlimted website are for the EQ2/EQ3 drives. I can't find any pics of the EQ5 drives. :?

Regards

Russ

Caz, here's a link to the Accufocus.

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it040081.htm

As you've already found out, the damp down time with the Explorer 200 is 3-5secs but it seems a lot longer. So the Accufocus is worth every penny.

I bought the Accufocus myself (sold it to Ant when I sold the Explorer) and it's a breeze to fit and a dream to use.

Russ

Wood or plastic is OK, although you can get the plastic ones in the same colour as your scope!!! :lol:

If you put a peg on one side of the focusser (you might have to unscrew one of the wheels and attach it to the bar instead), you can then fine focus by resting your index finger on the end of the peg and moving it. The larger arc gives you more accurate focussing and the increased leverage means you can move the focusser using less force and a lot smoother.

Archived