Narrowband

SGLX Tickets on Sale Now!

Grant

As you are now aware from the starparty dates SGLX will coincide with a partial eclipse of the Sun on the 20th March. Because of the location of Lucksall not all of the eclipse can be seen from the site. The team has therefore organised an outreach event to view the eclipse.

I have agreed with the Madley Environmental Study Centre to view the eclipse from the old airfield site which has a 360 degree clear horizon. The outreach event is a joint arrangement with Herefordshire Astronomical Society and the Madley Centre.

I am going to put a separate thread showing photos and giving other arrangements for the day so that the details can seen as an individual item.

All we need is a clear morning on the 20th.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about dobs is getting me confused. Is it just not bringing a dob if I have one or do I have to bring a dob if I don't have one?   :confused:

nothing to get confused about,we the dob mob are not bringing our scopes so people can look through them.

With all the big dobs not coming, who's going to moan at us imagers for our glaringly bright red lights on our cigar plugs ;)

Dobman says "Ok, it's taped up and I can't see it as such but I know it's there and anyway, what if the tape falls off? 2 hrs of adaption down the spout :( )"  :evil:  :p  :grin:

Hi Allan,

It is disappointing to hear that you felt shunned at SGL 9. Come along to SGL 10 and I will be happy to have a beer with you and introduce you to a number of people. I have been allocated pitch 24 on Kingfisher.

The majority of attendees are a great bunch of people, easy to chat to, Java Cakes are a sure fire way to make friends!

I think you will find that the cliques you mention are really groups of people who have been to many SGLs and therefore friendships have formed over a number of years.

The 1st star party is the most difficult, coming a day or two early, ie Wednesday or Thursday gives you a chance to meet people as there are fewer people around, Friday afternoon can be hectic with people arriving, trying to get their tent and gear up, plus it getting dark, so not the best time to chat!......... Helping to put tents up is a winner to a friendship.

The Hog Roast event on the Saturday night is a great place to make friends as people are more relaxed and queuing for the meal helps.

Nearly forgot, breakfast in the site cafe is a wonderful opportunity for banter and loads of one-liners.

Hope you can make to SGL 10......

Cheers

Adrian

Totally support what Adrian has just stated. Although I don't normally stay on site (I live less than 10 minutes away) I try to say hello to everyone especially those members that arrive several days before the main event. I give information about the local area - pubs, supermarkets, health centres, places of interest etc etc. So if this is your first event or you need help on anything  just say hello - I wear a large SGL Badge with Mark at Beaufort printed upon it.

I have not yet placed detailed info on the outreach event to see the Eclipse. I am waiting for more members to sign up for the main SGLX event and will then give the extra details.

Geez mate, that was two yrs ago at Hersty, have you still not forgiven me ?   :glasses9:

I just took mine apart and clipped off the white leds. I then sanded everything matt and then put some white tape over everything. now I cannot see a thing when I use it, the light is so dim  :grin:

Didn't work for me last year offered beer and snacks found the whole thing a bit cliquey plus weather not good last year lol

I'd have been there like a shot if I'd heard you mention beer and snacks! I do know what you mean in that it could seem cliquey but just be a bit brave and wander over to any group and I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll be welcomed. If you like come to my tent first (obviously with beer and snacks  :grin: ) and I'll join you 

Just thought I would add my bit if anybody reading this thread is in doubt about going to SGLX.

Last year SGL9 was my first ever star party. It is quite daunting when you rock up on your own, with not much knowledge about astronomy or star parties and not knowing anybody at all. You might recognise a couple of names that you've seen on the forum here, but that's it. Well, I had an absolute ball. You just have to dive in and say 'hello', not one person was anything but totally friendly and welcoming and interested to chat. I gained so much advice and knowledge in those few days that has helped push me forwards with my interest in astronomy since then.

I can understand the comment about the apparent 'cliqueyness' (is that a word?). As others have mentioned, there are groups of friends that meet up there and do their thing together, but they are only completely welcoming and happy to make room for you in their group!

SGL is a fabulously friendly forum, with a wealth of knowledgeable people who are extremely generous with their willingness to share that knowledge. Well, the star party is exactly the same, but face to face. A wonderful collection of people to chat about astronomy with and a whole lot more!

My family and friends all take the mick about my 'geek week', but, personally, I can't wait for next March.

If you like SGL, you'll love SGLX. Be brave and book now!

Hi all :smiley:

I must admit when I read Alan the plumbers comment I did have a brief moment where I thought :eek:  have I done the right thing, then after reading other comments I know I've done the right thing :smiley:

yes I am a complete novice and this is my first star party, I don't know a great deal but learning is fun,  meeting complete strangers can be a little daunting but I just look at it like this....the friends I have today were once complete strangers....

I for one will be wandering around the campsite (camera in hand) saying hi to who ever I come across, even if I only get a friendly hi or a nod back I'll be happy, and if I come away from this just a little wiser...result :smiley:

this is also my first time camping in a tent so if anyone wants a good laugh get yourself over to pitch 42 on the Friday and watch me trying to put a tent up :smiley:

Cannot wait for March.

Regards

JemC

Archived