SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC1396 - trunk region in narrowband

Martin-Devon

Fairly quick data acquisition of 16x10min H-alpha and 15x10 min OIII, taken late October and early November. Processed as HOO = RGB in Hubble palette format. Most of November written off with poor weather, so this is going to have to be the finished version for this image.

Thanks for looking,

Martin

15726478219_997bddbdaa_b.jpg

Martin

I really like the 3-d perspective you've brought out in the processing, very noticeable in the higher res Flikr image . . . to my imagination. it seems like the dark molecular nebulosity is inky-like and 'dripping' from the trunk.  Lovely subtle tonal range too.

A cracking image from relatively little data.

Barry

Many thanks for comments & feedback - much appreciated. I was planning to add SII data to this image to make the full Hubble palette, but the weather had other plans. Not sure that the SII adds anything overly significant though, fortunately there's plenty of colour blends possible with just H-alpha and OIII for this target.

Martin

Very nice, Martin.  As Barry has said the selective sharpening gives a lovely 3 dimensional feeling.  Some stacking artefacts along the bottom edge?

You have my sympathy with the weather, Martin.  It's been the same here and I've not really managed to capture anything for weeks!

Cheers, Ian

Thanks again for all the comments and feedback.

I had tried the entire IC1396 last year as a 4 pane mosaic and failed miserably with it, gradients galore, so stuck to the simple stuff with this one. Sucker for punishment though, I'm at the early stages of a 9 pane marathon at the moment and if the weather picks up, there a chance it may be finished during February!

Martin

Archived