Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42

neil groves

My imaging session was cut short last night because of clouds moving into the area, but just before I packed my kit up, I took time of visually observe the Orion Nebulae, I located it in the finder scope, then looked through the main OTA, man was I disappointed, I expected to see a great glowing gas cloud like I have seen in text books, nope....all I could see at first was the bright 3 stars of the trapezium, however as I moved away from the eyepiece the sky around the trapezium glowed like a candle glow, I found that by not looking directly at the object but instead slightly to one side, a spectacular sight came into view, my faith was restored and I can't wait to get out again, I only had a few mins as soon the cloud covered the entire sky but such a memorable time.

Neil.

M42 is pretty fantastic through any scope if the sky is a good one. LP ruins it a bit IMHO, I know its a nice bright nebula that stands out even from town but dark skies always ,make these things rock . You can't beat that ink black background :)

M42 is pretty fantastic through any scope if the sky is a good one. LP ruins it a bit IMHO, I know its a nice bright nebula that stands out even from town but dark skies always ,make these things rock . You can't beat that ink black background :)

Absolutely. My reasonable back garden gives nice views, but the best I ever had were from a dark site high up in the Austrian Alps.

• 2 weeks later...

Please can someone tell me if i have spotted m42 for the first time.After searching orion for a while i spotteda cluster of 4 stars surrounded by a whitish haze below and to the right of the belt of orion am i right as being pretty new to astronomy it will be only my second dso find

vacuum, in reasonable skies, you can make out M42 visually as a haze in the middle of orion's lower half. see http://arrrr.com/messier/m42.shtml - in your observation, I'm presuming your used a scope to see the 4 stars you mentioned - make sure you use a finder first to locate the right spot before using the eyepiece or you can get lost very quickly.

Yep sounds like m42 to me mondeoman, keep looking at m42 Neil, it will only get better and better, especially as you go through aperture fever, a very common illness contacted by amateur astronomers, cured only by the lack of depth in your pocket or the patience of your partner. Clear skies. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Archived