Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please advice needed on power levels

We are really new and would like if someone can explain to us about ep's and their power levels and what to expect from them. Its the Celestro astromaster eq 130 scope with focal length of 650mm, optical tube length is 610mm with the following ep's, 10mm, 20mm, 15mm kellner, 6mm plössl a 2x barlow with T adapter and n blue red and moon filter. Also do you think this was a wise choice for beginner. Thanx guys hope te get a reply soon!!

Divide the focal length of the scope by the focal length of the ep.

For example 650/10mm ep=x65

The 2xbarlow doubles the focal length of the OTA so 2x650=1300 so now the 10mm ep is effectively giving you 130x mag

As a guide the max usefull maginfication of the scope is roughly 2xthe apeture so 2x130 = 260 but that would be on a very good night with excellent seeing.

That's a nice starter scope, be aware that the stock eye pieces aren't going to allow you to achieve the most out of your scope. If you can get into a local astro club you may be able to try some other ones to give you an idea of what it is capable of.

Have you looked into collimation? You need good collimation to get a good image.

Local conditions play as much a part in what you will see as what equipment you use. You will see much more from a dark site than a light polluted city.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Thank you very much guys. Luxky for us we live in a small town with much less light pollution then in bigger cities and we also have access to a nice dark farm ouside of town.. we also not to far away feom Sutherland which the consider one of the darkest places in aouth africa. So the idea ia to go there for break away weekends, but yes we will definitely be using it from the back yard as well. I just hope it would be delivered this coming week.

As D4N says decent starter scope, same as what I started out with.  :cool:  Also as mentioned the ep's you will get with it will be ok to start with but if you find you enjoy and want more, better eyepieces will give better views and will be easier to get along with.

See if there is a local club you can go along to and meet/chat with fellow enthusiasts to get an idea of whats out there and the costs of upgrading before shelling out your hard earned cash.

But as a starting tip you will find the 20mm with the barlow easier to use than the 10mm, I can't comment on the Kelner as I have little experience with this. However barlowing this is still likely to be easier than the 6mm plossl due to eye relief. It is subjective because some find plossl's of shoter focal length easier to use than others, being a spectacle wearer I dont get on with them below 15mm.

hth

steve

Archived