Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eyepieces

hi everyone i was asking on eyepieces for my celestron powerseeker 127 which eyepieces would you reccomend if possible i would like everyone to have a say, only reason i`m asking about eyepieces is because the eyepieces that came with the telescope i`ve been told are low quality plus they are not good enough for looking at saturn in detail.

1 last thing does anybody now where i can get free astrophotography software.

cheers everyone

Hi Nemo most modern eyepieces are multicoated now and as for choice  :shock: there are almost too many to choose from.  It ALL depends on what you want to observe.  If I knew where your interests lye i could give you my ten pennneth..... :sunny:  Paul

Hi Nemo,

Here are the main types to consider:

Kellner

The standard Kellner is a good, low-cost performer that is noticeably better than the simpler Ramsden and Huygenian designs often supplied with starter telescopes. The simple 3-element design gives bright, contrasty images with excellent central sharpness. Kellners have a field of view (FOV) around 40° and are good for low/medium aperture telescopes.

Orthoscopic

The 4-element orthoscopic used to be very popular but has lost out recently to the 'space-walk' glamour of modern super-wide-angle eyepieces. Despite having a narrow FOV, the ortho' gives excellent sharp, contrasty, colour-correct views. Particularly good for planetary and lunar observing.

Plossl

The Plossl is a hugely popular 4-element design that gives excellent overall image quality and an apparent field of view around 50°. Do be careful though; not all Plossls are equal! The old adage 'you get what you pay for' still applies. A quality Plossl can give high contrast views with pinpoint sharpness across the entire FOV. Probably the best general-purpose eyepiece.

Superwide

Typically a 5-6-element design that gives a FOV of about 60° to 70°. Well suited to low magnification, wide-field, deep-sky observing.

Ultrawide

These 6-8 elements designs are very glamorous with incredibly wide FOVs up to around 85°. To view the entire FOV you actually have to tilt your head to see the edges. With so many pieces of glass, the light and colour transmission can suffer. Otherwise, the image quality (and price!) is very high.

Hope that helps,

Steve :lol:

Hi nemo,

I take it that you have a 4mm and 20mm EP's with the scope.

I would go for a 25mm Plossl for wide field views and a 10mm for higher magnifications, buy youself a decent 2X Barlow and you'll have.....

25mm and (12.5mm barlowed) 40X and 80X Magnification

10mm and (5mm barlowed) 100X and 200X Magnification.

Given that you have a 5" Refractor which has a usefull magnification of 250X a maximum of 200X is within i'ts limits.

Try here,

http://www.scopesnskies.com/index.php

Greg

Plossls are the Chevy sedan of eyepieces. (Ford Prefect, maybe?) They are relatively cheap, and do a good job. If you can stretch the budget a little, there are things like the Celestron X-Cel and Ultima, and you can go up from there. Many of the amateurs I know have only two or three eps, but they are very expensive ones. Go with the Plossls, though, and as you gain experience and get to look through other people's eps, you will get a better idea of what you ultimately want.

Phattire's suggestions on focal lengths are quite goodl

I used two Kellners and a Barlow for about 4 years, quite happily. ditch the Huygens and Ramsdens, though. You can't even sell them.

• 8 months later...

£30 for 3 eyepieces, including containers and delivery is a really great deal and 2 of them (the plossls) are likely to be pretty good eyepieces - probably well worth the money on their own - so the 9mm Kellner is really a freebie !! (and that won't be too bad either).

IMHO I doubt you'll find a better deal - now someone will prove me wrong of course !!.

John.

Other than the FOV, I really didn't notice a difference between my Kellners and the less expensive Plossls. I didn't even miss the FOV that much, as you tend to look at the central part of the FOV anyway. Your eye can't use all of a 52 degree FOV at once. The main reason for getting Plossls instead of Kellners is that the Plossls are only slightly more expensive, and easily justify the extra cost.

Archived