SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope tube mounting rings help please.

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my new NEQ6 mount and haven't yet had chance to try it but wonder if anyone can help with a scope mounting problem please.

At the moment I'm going to use the mount to support my old 10" Newt for visual work till I can buy something more suited to photography, I've bought a new set of Skywatcher tube rings but they are very slightly oversized for my tube diameter. To overcome this I've packed the rings inside diameter with strips of cardboard covered by tightly wrapped electricians tape. The result looks fine and does have a cushioning effect to protect the tube.

My worry is now that I've 'packed out' the rings I may have very slightly moved the scope from being parallel to the mount axis.

It's hard to explain but if I align the mount on the North celestial pole and point my scope there also, the scope might not be exactly parallel to the RA axis of rotation on the mount. Does that make sense ?

It's the first time I've owned a decent equatorial mount so please bear with me if it's a stupid question but I'd feel happier knowing what others think :smiley:

Many thanks

Peter.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your help, now I know what the problem is called I've been able to look at Youtube etc and have a better understanding.

Like I say I haven't had chance to use the mount yet so it may be there isn't even a problem (I've only packed out the rings by a small amount and packed them evenly). My mount is a Goto and from what I understand a 3 star alignment takes out any cone error.

I'll see how accurate my set up performs over the next few weeks once I've got the hang of using it and then look at correcting the problem now I know what it is :smiley:

Peter.

Archived