SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 10 Chatter :)

NickK

I started packing some edibles in the big sealed plastic box, hurrah !

The Jacob's Cispbreads were just in there for two days. I must resist , resist, resist.

Nick.

It's for this reason I won't be buying any beer until the morning I'm leaving for Lucksall. Hopefully most of it should survive the journey [emoji56]

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was open all week last year, i was there 9 days in total

id be amazed if it wasn't. Shop will deffo be open and that's reasonably stocked if you run out.

I'm gonna try cutting back on the food this year i always end up getting back and throwing stuff away

Does anyone know when the campsite cafe opens this year? I am booked in from the 18th and would like to know how much food to bring.

I will try and go over tomorrow and have a chat with Gary (owner). If there is anything else that needs clarification let me know.

Camper failed MOT on emissions test this morning  :mad: the catalytic thingy has died, apparently it's my fault for not doing more miles as they don't like sitting around and just being warmed up once a month, guess I'll just have to go to more star parties, be cheaper than the price of a new catalytic thingy, could buy another Ethos for that price   :eek:

Dave

Thats bad news..... 

My motor home scraped through on emissions last November, its had a run to Scotland and back straight after that but otherwise mines just sat there too. Admittedly mines so old it might not even have a CAT but Im going to make a habit after hearing that of driving it once a month.

Are you still going to make SGL-X?

Yay!! 7 days & counting, as long as it's dry next Monday to get the tent up, then I'll be a Happy camper....   BTW, if the local shop doesn't have enough, there's a Tesco not far away...

Julian

Thats bad news..... 

My motor home scraped through on emissions last November, its had a run to Scotland and back straight after that but otherwise mines just sat there too. Admittedly mines so old it might not even have a CAT but Im going to make a habit after hearing that of driving it once a month.

Are you still going to make SGL-X?

Yes still be there, just opposite you by the look of the plan, should be done by tomorrow, just have to pay the eye watering bill and convince myself it's worth it to "save the planet" :)

Dave

Considering making wooden adaptor for the 300mm f4 cannon lens I have.. the idea is that I can then use the camera that's not being used for the imaging rig.. to take some wide field at the same time :)

I've already made something similar for the spectrograph so have all the bits to make it in wood then it's just a case of attaching on the mount.

Fixed the second dew band yesterday.. so apart from charging the 100AH battery (although I may leave it at home this time in favour of the power supply).. and the car MOT ... I think I'm almost ready..

Latest weather charts look promising for the eclipse with high pressure over the UK but it's a long way off yet in weather forecasting terms!

ssssshhhhhh don't talk about the weather..... it'll hear you and come over to investigate :grin:

I visited Lucksall this morning. The cafe will be fully operational from this Friday - good news for the early arrivals. Secondly the shop is going to add additional beers and cider - just to keep you happy.

See you next week - keep your fingers crossed for clear skies.

Yay!  :drunken_smilie:

I see you're replacing the missing glassware with another.. the question is - if aperture is required for more visual seeing.. does adding more bottles of beer help with seeing stars too? :D

I see you're replacing the missing glassware with another.. the question is - if aperture is required for more visual seeing.. does adding more bottles of beer help with seeing stars too? :D

Yes 100%. Fantastic for double stars

Paul

I visited Lucksall this morning. The cafe will be fully operational from this Friday - good news for the early arrivals. Secondly the shop is going to add additional beers and cider - just to keep you happy.

See you next week - keep your fingers crossed for clear skies.

Thanks for finding that out Mark. Good news about the extra beer in the shop.  :smiley:

My first star party next week and I bought a tent at the weekend.

Does anyone have a checklist of bits / bobs to bring (besides Lagavulin and Hob Goblin" as I haven't been camping since 1976. My last tent was an ex war dept canvas thing with wooden poles and no ground sheet; bought from the Exchange and Mart for £4.

My new one builds itself in 2 seconds - technology has certainly changed. It will take much longer to put away though.

Archived