Narrowband

SGL 10 Chatter :)

NickK

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to meet friends again old and new. Well impressed with Stu's Sumerian (BigStumerian?) and "thanks a lot" Derek and Stu for showing me the views through your 17mm Ethos. I was surprised that the 17mm was actually brighter in my scope on M37 than the 21mm. Maybe there's some correlation between mirror size and ideal Ethos? I concede that my 16mm T2 was not a patch in terms of brightness on the 17mm although you could of course see the same things. My favourite object of the weekend was the Needle Galaxy NGC4565 as illustrated above which I have seen before but was great from here, really popping in averted vision. It was a true novelty to come away from a star party having done some observing and with a dry tent!

It was interesting to compare the Quark with my PST mod too. No doubt that full disk observing is great with the quark and even with Stu's mini 60mm Tak it was packed with detail. I do like the ability of my PST mod to produce bright detailed images even at 100x or more. I suppose it's the same with all scopes, nothing does everything best.

I wonder if next year it might be possible to have different sections for imagers and visual guys? This would stop the mutterings of visual guys about the bright tents ruining any chance of dark adaptation and the mutterings of imaging guys about the loud visual guys sat around drinking/waiting for the merest patches of clear sky after it has clouded over.  :grin:

Lovely

,makes my flat battery look a bit tame ! Really wonderful meet up, many thanks to all the organisers and those poor souls who endured my sky tours. The weather really came up aces !

Nicko.

I had a flat battery too.. normally I have a 100Ah car battery and jump leads but this year I decided not to bring them! Many thanks to Julian (Dr_Ju_Ju) for helping out with a jump start!

Well I'm all packed. Four 'fracs, a dob, a catsperch and a tired, but very contented me heading home.

4d65d7d3bf6b8be02e94a5f57784315d.jpg

1fcb3e0553f1d231617d7a98d0fae9ab.jpg

01a3cab8db6a522c8dc7baa7cf27e49f.jpg

Now to try to count up all those galaxies! [emoji3]

p.s. Shane, your PST mod is great, really nice, and I would have one aswell as the Quark if funds allowed.

p.p.s. I'm thinking 'BigSumorian' might be appropriate, given my svelt figure ;-)

It was nice to see you again Shane and to meet Stu, Mike and the others :smiley:

I wonder if next year it might be possible to have different sections for imagers and visual guys? This would stop the mutterings of visual guys about the bright tents ruining any chance of dark adaptation and the mutterings of imaging guys about the loud visual guys sat around drinking/waiting for the merest patches of clear sky after it has clouded over.  :grin:

I think it's going to be difficult to accomodate, even if we wanted to, with the mix of mobile homes / caravans / trailer tents and tents being used now and the parks requirements on where those are sited.

I was surrounded by imagers but still had a great time, possibly even more enjoyable than if I'd been surrounded by visual observers ?

Anyway it was a great event :grin:

I should ask you to pack my car next time Stu maybe I would only have to bring the one then.

Had a great time thanks both to the clear skies and the welcoming nature of SGL members. Special thanks to Shane and Stu for putting up with me hogging their Ha set ups over the 4 days I was there. Was nice to finally see what the views are like through a quark.

A big dob thank you to Swamp thing for letting me have a look through your 20". Was great to finally meet both you and your dob in person after following your build on SGL. Great to see M3 transform from what is a mottled globular cluster in my 12" into basically looking like a tight open cluster in the 20". Thanks also to Dan for a quick peak at a huge Herschel catalogue galaxy in his 16".

Thanks to Dave Mr Fibble for your great sense of humour and the lift to the eclipse event on Friday.

Had a bit of a mare this morning though after a dewed up secondary cut play short and to further add insult to injury we ended up having to spend the night kipping in freezing cars due to a flat battery stopping us heading for home but over all the star party was a total success on many levels and can't wait for the next one.

Just got home - first rain in day's so unpacking the Disco will have to wait ....

Great to meet so many friends old and new..

Back to a tent for me next time.,.. It's too far to walk to the beach hut after a "session" with the dob mob ;):)

Hopefully get a full shift in next time although compared to "tich"  we are all part timers :evil::grin:

Peter...

Great week-end and good to finally put some faces to names :). After neglecting my new camera in favour of spending some time with them big dobs (what's all the fuss about anyway ;) ), I finally got set up on Sunday night and managed a good few hrs (if not a few good hrs) so I'll have something to play with in P.S. Time to give the liver a rest now 'til sgl XI :D.

BIG big thanks to all those who put in so much effort to make it a cracking few days muchos gracias

Had a great time glad i stayed for one extra night the sky was so much better than the previous 3 nights , the weather was good to us and i even got a bit of sunburn on my nose! meeting every one was great wouldnt mind doing it again next year. finally great to meet steve n james from FLO. 

Just crawled into bed after an amazing fourth night, and my first with the dob mob! Fabulous time, topped off with some lovely views of the Veil and Crescent nebulae.

STOP PRESS: 31mm Nagler beats 21mm Ethos on the Crescent [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

you light weight, given clear again, do you fancy round 2 :grin: . had a brilliant time. skys were great company was great and it was great to finaly meet the mods, global mods, admin and steve and james from flo. realy appreciate all that was done to organise it. hope we didnt keep any one awake :embarassed:

Stu it was really good to meet up at last. Seeing the proms through your Quark during the eclipse was excellent.

I still cannot believe the view I got through your large Dob of the Cocoon Galaxy. I came home and check it out and noted it was Steve O'Meare's number 63 in his Hidden Treasurers book.

I have never looked through a 31mm Nagler although I have a 21mm Ethos. Steve (swampthing) used this EP through his 20" Dob and I had an excellent view of the Leo Triplet.

Thanks Mark, likewise really nice to meet, chat and actually observe briefly together.

The Cocoon was lovely wasn't it? A first for me, and really quite clearly seen.

The Crescent was lovely too once it got high enough. The whole shape was quite clear with some internal structure. Steve's more experienced eye was picking out more detail than me (both in my scope as his had dewed up unfortunately).

I was using the 31 and 21 with a Lumicon OIII which worked beautifully. Steve, Mike and myself all viewed it in both eye pieces and were all surprised (but sure), that the 31 gave the better image on that particular object.

I found on the Veil that they each showed different parts better so it was worth using both. Must be an exit pupil effect I guess?

All great stuff anyway.

you light weight, given clear again, do you fancy round 2 :grin: . had a brilliant time. skys were great company was great and it was great to finaly meet the mods, global mods, admin and steve and james from flo. realy appreciate all that was done to organise it. hope we didnt keep any one awake :embarassed:

Mike, I confess I am a broken man this afternoon [emoji6], hobbling about like an old man [emoji3]

Round 2 yes, but after a sufficient recovery period! [emoji12]

I had a brilliant time; did some good comet imaging on Sunday night, and got home this afternoon - absolutely exhausted. Good to see various members from past events and meet a few new ones. Respect to the organisers.

Hopefully get a full shift in next time although compared to "tich"  we are all part timers :evil::grin:

Peter...

Well at the moment it's looking a bit soggy & it's gone awfully quiet apart from chasing off some rather amorous ducks lol, maybe I'll be able to hoover up some more photons later :p I'm just trying to make up for all the times I haven't been able to make it out this season due to work :mad:

This is one of the images I did last night my first attempt at the Needle galaxy although that Leo Triplet is still trying my patience.

Needle%20galaxy%202%20hrs%2010%20mins_zp

Mike, I confess I am a broken man this afternoon [emoji6], hobbling about like an old man [emoji3]

Round 2 yes, but after a sufficient recovery period! [emoji12]

so am i stu, still keep seeing dso,s when i close my eyes, i will be nudging my wife a lot in bed tonight :smiley: . i think my thirst for dso,s is quenched at the moment :grin:

Brilliant weekend as ever and it was great to meet old friends again and make some new ones - roll on the next one. A partial eclipse with clear skies and an SGL star party all at the same time, it doesn't get any better!

Well my journey home didn't go well :mad:  Clutch has gone bang so i spent an extra 3hrs getting home yesterday morning.....tut

Sorry to here that Alan, just as we were discussing needing the AA to get us home, my old banger (literally as the banging noise got louder on the way home ) made it just.

Taking it to the garage tomorrow, hope the bill is less than last weeks :)

Nice to meet and chat will try and make it to Sailsbury.

Dave

I know what you mean - and there's always lighthearted ribbing between the two camps - but I do think it would be a shame to make the segregation an actual thing. Since we often inhabit somewhat separate areas of the forum I find it nice to intermingle at the star parties, and many of the people camped around me at my first SGL were imagers but we got on well and still keep in touch.

I've found it interesting to get a feel for what 'they' (imagers) do, and it's nice to show them something visually while their rigs work away in the background...

"you spent long enough aligning didn't you? I just swing the dob and hey presto! Feast your eyes on this"

...and then see what they captured the next day...

”look, colours and structure! None of that grey fuzzy blob stuff you showed me last night..."

:D

Agreed Kev, I don't think segregation is the answer.

Education is more the answer in my view. Visual guys should consider it their duty to educate these imaging types and show them the sights they are missing whilst they are watching the PHD graph all night :grin:  :grin: I know I used to do it but have seen the light now and only do visual at events like this, too many starparty clear nights wasted fighting errant imaging gear :grin:  :grin:

Well at the moment it's looking a bit soggy & it's gone awfully quiet apart from chasing off some rather amorous ducks lol, maybe I'll be able to hoover up some more photons later :p I'm just trying to make up for all the times I haven't been able to make it out this season due to work :mad:

This is one of the images I did last night my first attempt at the Needle galaxy although that Leo Triplet is still trying my patience.

Needle%20galaxy%202%20hrs%2010%20mins_zp

looks just like it did through my scope titch ;)

Cracking image Rob,

I never bothered going out in the end as it just wasn't clear enough so I'm just about to head off to bed ready for the big pack for the homeward journey :sad: It's been great being here & seeing you all again this year although I do plan to have another long stay next year :evil:
I hope I didn't disturb any of the observers from my the burger van & if I did then I do apologise.
Mind you I don't stare at my screen all night either as I would just let it do its thing & I'd wander off checking it occasionally. I did use the SCT for observing a couple of times to & I was surprised what I saw with it, I just need a dew band for it lol.
Well the Leo Trio has been my nemesis & this isn't perfect by a long way as the data was all quite noisy for some reason unlike the data I had for the Needle galaxy but it'll do till next time. :evil:

trio%203_zpsppftkbc5.png

Archived