Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Non-Iridium Flares

AndyWB

So I was out tonight in West Berks, and at 1821 I happened to be looking west with my Mk I eyeballs when something flared. For a moment it became brighter than, well, anything star-like I've seen - brighter than Venus or Jupiter - before dimming just as quickly, though I could see a little spot of light that looked like a satellite drifting off. It was near Pi Herculis, just above the keystone.

"Ooo" I thought, "I might just have seen my first Iridium flare".

Heavens-Above does not show any Iridium flares at that time. None of the brighter satellites on it are in the right place at around that time either - and they didn't really feel bright enough.

Are there other things up there that flare that brightly? I mean, it pretty much seared itself into my retina…  and I'm really curious as to what it was! 

There are others, calsky will give a list of them but I can never get calsky to take my location. It may but it still seems to indicate a location defined by my IP address. So at the end I am never 100% sure if the location that it is using is my Lat/Long or my IP and as there is 25-30 miles difference I just am never sure. I have changed the location to see my Lat/Long in one part but a "pin" over the IP address location.

http://www.calsky.com/

It is presently saying I am in St Albans, the catch is no I am not, even in a staright line St Albans is some distance away. St Albans (Redbourn) is where a main node for the IP supplier is.

Might be related to the objects I saw: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/229704-unexplained-sighting/#entry2479043

Those objects had no visible motion over the time they were visible. Even through the bins.

I've seen a good few random and very bright satellite flares. Some surprisingly bright but always give their nature away with motion. I rarely get to identify them (Satellite Safari) but I usually try.

I was thinking the objects I saw were perhaps satellites in Molinya orbits. But I don't think the geometry works for a stationary apparition low in the north west and to flare so brightly given their range at apogee.

IF Calsky has taken the coordinates of Reading then at 18:34 Cosmo Skymed1 flared yesterday if you were looking South West.

Looks like Calsky says I am at St Albans but appears to be using the Lat/Long specified for Reading.

Seems to be presently saying coordinates are for Reading but calling it St Albans.

Well, this did definitely move. Very slowly, but after the flare some sort of small satellite was still just visible, then it went brown and faded out, which I guess is it crossing into night.

It must have been a satellite, but I've no idea which.

Archived