Narrowband

observing chair or ironing chair

hugobugo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a modified ironing stool, http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/leifheit-multiseat-niveau-ironing-chair/product/ 

I have changed the bolts, I have put stainless steel which are stronger,

and take more weight, if you are over 13 stone, you will be better off with an

observing chair, or change the bolts, mine works very well, but I have made the 

seat and back bigger, and put better padding in, even with the modifications it

works out much cheaper and very comfortable too.

I use the same as the gentlemen above, but like Roni, made a quick modification. Once the chip board seat broke (I'm about 11 stone) I just fitted on a lump of solid wood fitted with really comfy cushion. It's lasted a good couple of years already and still going strong.

I use the same one as well, I've had the seat recovered with extra padding as I found the original a bit uncomfortable after a while. The way I'd use it I'd describe it more as a perch rather than a seat because of leaning forward with feet on the ground and my seat tilts slightly forward which works quite well. Once I've set the height for the evening I don't often have to change it. However if I put the scope on the platform I then find whilst sitting, my feet only just reach the ground. So when I get my 16" I'm not sure it will work as well because there'll be nowhere to rest them. So I think that's one of the drawbacks, no foot rest, but I suppose its possible to make one if needed.

Whats the difference apart from the price?

Anybody using an ironing chair?

Thanks in advance.

We have a couple of ironing board chairs and drummer's thrones which were purchased cheap from Charity shops. I find the drummer's stool works well when used with our small Mak, and the ironing chair more comfortable when used with the refractor.

Edit: What ever type of chair you get, make sure the seat is covered with a water proof material.

post-21902-0-35797000-1416908687.jpg

post-21902-0-53665600-1416908830.jpg

As above, I too have modified an ironing stool. I replaced the seat with a larger, better padded seat and replaced the bolt with a pin made from a stainless steel coach bolt with the thread cut off. It works a treat and easily supports my somewhat cuddly frame.[emoji4]

i bought a cheap £5 drummers throne off ebay - cheap plastic (waterproof) padded seat with plenty of adustment,

however with a 12" dob it doesnt go high enough for observing near the zenith, But as I had some handy metal tube lying around that fit snugly inside the existing upright tube, i made an extension piece.

I cannot stress what an awsome accessory a chair is to observing!

I use the same as the gentlemen above, but like Roni, made a quick modification. Once the chip board seat broke (I'm about 11 stone) I just fitted on a lump of solid wood fitted with really comfy cushion. It's lasted a good couple of years already and still going strong.

Snap, same stool, same thing with seat, no probs sorting thstthis out though.

I also want to mod the adjustment bolt but haven't got around to it yet.

Maybe this will help

post-26735-0-55635600-1416952617.jpg

I use a hydraulic chair that sometimes come up for sale from Aldi, Lidl  etc for around £20. It will take 20 stone, adjusts smoothly and is reasonably padded with a waterproof cover and has a footrest. Downsides are lack of backrest and small footprint so needs level ground.  :smiley:

I use a hydraulic chair that sometimes come up for sale from Aldi, Lidl  etc for around £20. It will take 20 stone, adjusts smoothly and is reasonably padded with a waterproof cover and has a footrest. Downsides are lack of backrest and small footprint so needs level ground.  :smiley:

might have a lok at one of these, if it double up as extra seating it might get used around the house, haha

We have a couple of ironing board chairs and drummer's thrones which were purchased cheap from Charity shops. I find the drummer's stool works well when used with our small Mak, and the ironing chair more comfortable when used with the refractor.

Edit: What ever type of chair you get, make sure the seat is covered with a water proof material.

what a stunning observing site! Wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what I am getting for christmas off the mrs it's the only portable one I have found on the web 8 pound wt makes it the lightest one i have found if anybody has found lighter please let me know before the wife buys me this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Chairs-CS-320-Adjustable-Folding-Musicians-Chair-/141368831907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ea3d2fa3

This is what I am getting for christmas off the mrs it's the only portable one I have found on the web 8 pound wt makes it the lightest one i have found if anybody has found lighter please let me know before the wife buys me this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Chairs-CS-320-Adjustable-Folding-Musicians-Chair-/141368831907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ea3d2fa3

That looks really good :)

Its $ 119.00  plus $85.00 shipping. That doesn't sound like a bargain.

I may be mistaken, but when I carefully looked at the chair in the add, I notice it has no diagonal bracing to keep it from twisting and only several of the rungs appear to be welded in, the others seem to be just suspended between the rung holes.    :dontknow:

Edit:  VAT import tax may also be an issue.

Its $ 119.00  plus $85.00 shipping. That doesn't sound like a bargain.

I may be mistaken, but when I carefully looked at the chair in the add, I notice it has no diagonal bracing to keep it from twisting and only several of the rungs appear to be welded in, the others seem to be just suspended between the rung holes.    :dontknow:

you may be right but it got decent  reviews as a portable performance chair and I figured if it was steady enough for people to sit down and play a cello on its probably ok its also light enough to carry along with all my other gear

you may be right but it got decent  reviews as a portable performance chair and I figured if it was steady enough for people to sit down and play a cello on its probably ok its also light enough to carry along with all my other gear

Perhaps the photos do it an injustice. It's difficult to see quality in many of the products sold in todays world.

Archived