Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

northcanadian

Coldest scoping session???

Hi all:

I'm curious as to what the coldest temperatures other members have endured in scoping sessions. It's -20 degrees here now.  Last winter I went out and did some imaging at -14 degrees...not sure if I'll try that again though.

Cheers

Roger

• Like 1

-12C was mine, laser pointer hated it.

Are you working if oF or oC ?

The US tends to still refer to oF, not sure about Canada.

Will say I have stood outside at -24C in a shirt and felt fine, well so long as I didn't move at all. :eek: :eek:

The air was totally still and if you didn't move a layer of just warm enough air enclosed you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Move and hell it was cold. :grin: :grin:

Edited by ronin
  • Like 1

-38c or so.

At times these cold fronts provide some stunning DSO views, the sky seems cleaned, giving excellent transparency. One wrong move and the eyepiece frosts up though, you find out fast which ones last the longest. 

• Like 3

-12C was mine, laser pointer hated it.

Are you working if oF or oC ?

The US tends to still refer to oF, not sure about Canada.

Will say I have stood outside at -24C in a shirt and felt fine, well so long as I didn't move at all. :eek: :eek:

The air was totally still and if you didn't move a layer of just warm enough air enclosed you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Move and hell it was cold. :grin: :grin:

Thanks...yeah it can be uncomfortable. We're metric here..kilometers, kilograms and celsius....cheers :smiley:

-5C was normal about 4 yrs ago during our coldest winter in decades. Then it dipped down to -11C. I had to go out and try that just to say ive been outside in -11C. There was also about 18 inches of snow. 

I suppose Canadians/border states in America consider -11C as t-shirt weather.

We had a spell here in the Welsh mountains during 2010 where the temperature dropped well into the -20's. I recall the low temperatures did wonders for reducing dark noise in my DSLR's!!

The local waterfall (130 feet drop) froze solid.

Dscf1099.jpg

• Like 7

-18c for me. When i were a lad i used to hand guide in that ;around the period of the power cuts, which made it worth it). Quick session if similar the other year in a morning solar viewing!

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

• Like 1

Last winter I was out many a night in -20F. Coldest though was for the opposition of Jupiter. It was around -30F.

• Like 1

I think the figures are just part of the equation, conditions can make a big difference. I've been miserably cold at -1C and not even noticed -10C on occasions. Wind is the  :evil: at our location.   :smiley: 

• Like 1

-35˚c in northern Scandinavia inside the arctic circle. Pretty chilly. fantastic transparency and ink black. 

• Like 3

Hi all:

I'm curious as to what the coldest temperatures other members have endured in scoping sessions. It's -20 degrees here now.  Last winter I went out and did some imaging at -14 degrees...not sure if I'll try that again though.

Coldest wind chill temp was -19 degC at an SGL star party - camping. The car had icicles on, the wife had.. needed psychobilly's emergency duvet (note1) and the 2KW oil radiator in the sleeping section of the tent was keeping us warm.

Coldest continuous actual imaging sessions were at Olly Penrice's place in the south of france. -15 degC, with WiFi allowing remote connections into the telescope machines.. with six body layers, four head layers and two leg layers...   

Note1 - hmm no matter how I tell this story it sounds rude..

Edited by NickK

I'm not sure what the coldest temperature has been for any of my sessions, frost on my shed roof and the grass was frozen solid.

I've often thought about getting a thermometer to keep outside so I can check on it, but I always forget to get one!

D.C

-16 a few years ago in elan valley. i put a container of milk on the roof of my car and within 30 mins it froze , great skys though

I recorded -10 celsius here a couple of years ago. Bit fresh but nothing compared to some of the numbers quoted here. Coldest nights seem to give the best views.

No idea but I yearn fr some nice frosty nights to get some good viewing in. Jack Frost = Good viewing (usually)

post-26735-0-26289100-1416896447.jpg

Dohhhhh no not that one  :tongue:

post-26735-0-61895200-1416896480.jpg

Yeah thats him, come on back and do your stuff  :grin:

On average nights I don't usually pay attention to the temp. I'm going out regardless. Once my beer starts freezing I pay attention.  :grin:

• Like 2

On average nights I don't usually pay attention to the temp. I'm going out regardless. Once my beer starts freezing I pay attention.  :grin:

I keep my beers on top of the boiler- don't like it cold.

It was 1-2degC last night.. I'd glued a workbench and unfortunately that didn't stick! The glues states 7-30degC .. so now it's sat under a cover with a heater to keep it snuggly.. fingers crossed that it cures this time!

It was 1-2degC last night.. I'd glued a workbench and unfortunately that didn't stick! The glues states 7-30degC .. so now it's sat under a cover with a heater to keep it snuggly.. fingers crossed that it cures this time!

stick some screws in it. be safer then