Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coldest scoping session???

northcanadian

Hi all:

I'm curious as to what the coldest temperatures other members have endured in scoping sessions. It's -20 degrees here now.  Last winter I went out and did some imaging at -14 degrees...not sure if I'll try that again though.

Cheers

Roger

-12C was mine, laser pointer hated it.

Are you working if oF or oC ?

The US tends to still refer to oF, not sure about Canada.

Will say I have stood outside at -24C in a shirt and felt fine, well so long as I didn't move at all. :eek: :eek:

The air was totally still and if you didn't move a layer of just warm enough air enclosed you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Move and hell it was cold. :grin: :grin:

-12C was mine, laser pointer hated it.

Are you working if oF or oC ?

The US tends to still refer to oF, not sure about Canada.

Will say I have stood outside at -24C in a shirt and felt fine, well so long as I didn't move at all. :eek: :eek:

The air was totally still and if you didn't move a layer of just warm enough air enclosed you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Move and hell it was cold. :grin: :grin:

Thanks...yeah it can be uncomfortable. We're metric here..kilometers, kilograms and celsius....cheers :smiley:

-5C was normal about 4 yrs ago during our coldest winter in decades. Then it dipped down to -11C. I had to go out and try that just to say ive been outside in -11C. There was also about 18 inches of snow. 

I suppose Canadians/border states in America consider -11C as t-shirt weather.

-18c for me. When i were a lad i used to hand guide in that ;around the period of the power cuts, which made it worth it). Quick session if similar the other year in a morning solar viewing!

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Hi all:

I'm curious as to what the coldest temperatures other members have endured in scoping sessions. It's -20 degrees here now.  Last winter I went out and did some imaging at -14 degrees...not sure if I'll try that again though.

Coldest wind chill temp was -19 degC at an SGL star party - camping. The car had icicles on, the wife had.. needed psychobilly's emergency duvet (note1) and the 2KW oil radiator in the sleeping section of the tent was keeping us warm.

Coldest continuous actual imaging sessions were at Olly Penrice's place in the south of france. -15 degC, with WiFi allowing remote connections into the telescope machines.. with six body layers, four head layers and two leg layers...   

Note1 - hmm no matter how I tell this story it sounds rude..

I'm not sure what the coldest temperature has been for any of my sessions, frost on my shed roof and the grass was frozen solid.

I've often thought about getting a thermometer to keep outside so I can check on it, but I always forget to get one!

D.C

It was 1-2degC last night.. I'd glued a workbench and unfortunately that didn't stick! The glues states 7-30degC .. so now it's sat under a cover with a heater to keep it snuggly.. fingers crossed that it cures this time!

It was 1-2degC last night.. I'd glued a workbench and unfortunately that didn't stick! The glues states 7-30degC .. so now it's sat under a cover with a heater to keep it snuggly.. fingers crossed that it cures this time!

stick some screws in it. be safer then

Archived