Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How many of the Messier objects have you seen ?

Gas_mantle

Once you get into that area of sky, the M count really rockets. 5 bright ones in Leo, 15+ in Virgo/Coma!!! It's almost cheating. :)

Paul

I've got the Leo galaxies (I love the triple galaxy), and (from memory) the Glob around Virgo/Coma, but just haven't had the time to sit and work out which Galaxy us which in that Virgo cluster! It'll be a rewarding night or two out when I do though :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find ticking things off lists encourages me to look for new stuff, rather than just revisiting old friends (which I do a lot too). 

Yep! I agree :) Now frantically trying to tick off a couple of the way south ones prior to heading back to Blighty - from whence they'll no doubt be neigh impossible to see.

I'm a great fan of the Messiers compared to NGC etc simply because I figure if he could see them with his modest telescope of the time, there's every chance I will be able to too. far too many disappointing NGCs that even Hubble would have to squint to see :)

I've logged 46 that I'm fairly sure of. Most of these were in my first year with the TAL. Last year I only added a couple as I was revisiting with the 200p and spending a more time on doubles and other NGCs not on the Messier list. Like previous posts I am determined to head into the Virgo clusters this season. I have been amongst them but lost track of what was what, so may well have "seen" quite a few but haven't a clue which most of them are!

One of my astro ambitions is to get them all without "go to". Well, you have to have a dream!!

I have a Skywatcher Virtuoso 114p Newtonian. I'm relatively new to astronomy. Recently I have been observing double stars but I like the idea of trying to see as many Messiers as possible. I live in an area where there are some fantastic dark sky's. With this telescope, would I be able to view the majority of them or would I need a more powerful telescope?

I'm returning to astronomy again after a break and just about to buy a new scope so my 'Messier count' is only about 15 but hopefully that will rise soon :smiley:

How many have you managed ? Who's seen them all ?

I am very lucky in that all the messiers pass to the south of my back garden at an altitude at which I can spot them.

M7 Being the lowest, scuds along my back wall in the wee hours in June, and so I do an annual Messiers list as they

come by through the 1st Half of the year, Usually completeing with M30 or M54-55 in late june.

I have been doing this for nearly a decade and a half since we moved down here, and can now find them all (I have no go-to

or even a motor drive)  very quickly without recourse to chart etc. 

This yearly exercise has learned me a lot about the sky and I can generally star-hop to fainter IC/NGC Objects more easily because

I have grown more familiar with the star feilds that they are in and recognise many fainter star patterns within constellations with my finder.

I would recommend annual Messier object star-hopping to anyone who wants to increase their familiarity with the night sky beyond

the large outlinse of the constellations.

(Ticking them off also mollifies the "spotter" inside as well).

M68 and 83 always prove the most awkward, and 69-70 the most prone to going missing in not-so-good seeing.

M20 is always the most spectacular, despite being low down.

Clear skies       (fat chance)

Mick

I'm ashamed to say in several years of astronomy I've probably only seen around 10-20 :huh2:

I do keep meaning to attempt a messier marathon under darker skies, but sadly the star parties I have attended in recent years seem to have the worst luck for weather and under my skies at home I would be looking at the same washed out views just in a different part of the sky.

I have Synscan at home so I guess I could just blast through those "visible" but I have my favourites and I spend all my time re-visiting them spending longer each time trying to get as much detail out of them as I can. Plus going from one type of eyepiece (52° - 100°) means that even though your looking at the same object it can take on a totally difference appearance.

I have a confession - I may have to downgrade to 99. I was sure that I saw M75 with bins earlIer this year. However last night I noted that it was due to be near Mars low in the south so I thought it was a good time two check it again. Got Mars fine (it seems to visible for months this year!) but could not see M75 with the SCT. It was beginning to get misty but surely it should have been visible if I'd seen it in bins? So, I'm beginning to doubt that earlier observation. Anyone had experience of M75 - is it fainter than I thought?

Archived