Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrade time.....

After years of using an EQ mount and all its faults, e.g. not tracing even with a motor on it I've decided that this years bonus is being spent on a EQ5 mount!

It wont cover a new scope so were going with the old Celestron 130.

Now the big question:-

Do I get goto or syscan?

Thoughts and comments if you were doing or have done this upgrade.

Cheers

Hi stardad,

Are you intending doing visual or imaging? Are you using it at home or on the road? the reason for asking is whether or not you use a laptop and what sort of power supply you will be using matter when making the decision. if you are not using a laptop then I'd be inclined to go for goto as the handset will help you no end. if it's going to be used with a laptop always, then synscan should be fine although on occasion the handset can still come in handy. If you are away from a power supply and using a laptop, make sure the supply will be big enough to last the night :).

I would get goto even with the laptop. I've only used it 3-4 times in 2 yrs (the handset) but for me, with our fickle uk weather it was justified :D

Thats my take for what it's worth

No laptop so far on the list of needs. Power pack was in the price of the mount. 

The aim is to image later but there's no way I can afford all the parts for that so its start with the EQ5 and learn to use that first before another step.

The goto option makes observing a lot easier, simply it helps keeps things in view and you are out there "observing" after all. You may take 15 minutes setting it up - do not rush it - but count that as cool down - see males can multitask. :rolleyes:

Once set up it will speed up the whole process.

You will need to power the thing so consider that if you have not already. If you use a mains-DC converter (I do) make 150% sure that you have the voltage and polarity right. Skywatchers have little (no) protection.

EQ5 is a nice size, the goto option also allows you to nail a DSLR to the scope - most consider it at one time or another. However that is a different purpose and can lead to maddness and poverty.

Archived