SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planning your sessions.

I use an A5 notebook and put the date and observing time at the top of the entry. I write a summary of what I observed after the session, equipment used seeing and sky conditions etc. Also anything else you think might be worth including like the ISS passing over. Sometimes it's quite a short entry say half a page so l put the next entry under it. It's all about what works for you.

• Like 1

Good post and some good advice, also make sure your back door is oiled lol as last week waiting for the lightening I was awoken to hear the thunder, jumped out of bed the camera was all ready shoes and clothes on in record time , do you think i could open the backdoor??? it was jammed solid could not believe my luck

• Confused 1

another one I found last month after spending all day making up a observing list and waiting until the wee small hours for darkness-REMEMBER TO PUT PETROL IN THE CAR!!!

Edited by popeye85

• 6 months later...

Many thanks. I take out a Planisphere as they can be dialled to date & time. 

Redshift (on Google & Apple) has a red night vision setting & a Telrad setting. Best used on a touch screen device. 

For warmth comfort I use Zippo hand warmers. They can also be used as a make-do dew zapper. 

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks chaps for a really useful post. I'm only just finding my way around and some of it is slotting into place, but there's many years of learning to do, which really is the part that will keep me interested. 

• 5 weeks later...

A great list, some things I hadn't thought about as a new observer.
Another thing I have noticed is how difficult it is to see some colours under a red LED headlight (star charts, books, planispheres ...) so I've taken to trying them out in advance in the downstairs loo - and then making substitutions or adjustments as necessary. For example I have three planispheres and I found they vary quite a bit in their visibility under red.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 20/11/2014 at 15:13, cotterless45 said:

Apps and Stellarium are a rich source, just get them down on paper !

Would like to add Kstars to that list. It has a great options that allows you to plan for the night, aids to star hopping & record your observations. I too prefer to use paper instead of the tool 🙂

• 1 year later...

I'm new to this and never thought about recording what I have observed, great idea! Especially the equipment used etc.
It will be great to look back at some point.
Great post, thanks!