Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eq5 cover

Hi,

I'm very interested to see the replies that you get. I currently keep my HEQ5 outside with various layers on it - first layer is a tea-towel, then a black bin liner and finally a good quality heavy duty kettle bbq cover. I have a bungy cord tied around it's 'waist' to hold everything in place. It has been out for about three months so far and has braved some diabolical weather. I have seen absolutely no evidence of water ingress so far and the mount has worked perfectly on the woefully few occasions that I have used it. I do slightly worry that one day I will turn the mount on and nothing will happen, but so far so good...

Bin liners are great for waterproofing.

The TV news cameramen used to use them in wet weather..... much cheaper and more effective than the expensive tailor made camera covers.

I recon the same probably holds true for mounts.

You just need the BBQ cover for mechanical strength against the wind.

My experience of bin liners is that they don't stop condensation forming.

I have just purchased a scope cover from Cygnus Astro Covers.

THey are waterproof and breathable and importantly robust.

I have one covering my Garden pier with an EQ6 and Orion ED 80.

Here is the link:

http://neilross758.wix.com/cygnus-astro-covers

This is how I cover mine - Tesco large waste bin under a garden chiminea cover:

post-4502-0-18981400-1416341327.gif

I now use a second (Tesco) plastic garden furniture cover under a new green chiminea cover - the original chiminea cover became sun-damaged in the first summer of use and started to fall apart!  Works a treat and has been in use for two winters now, not a drop of water on the mount and no electrical problems (or spiders!!).

The "brown thing" in the picture is a disc of OSB that fits the bin perfectly.  It has several coats of yacht varnish and is completely waterproof.

Hi,

I'm very interested to see the replies that you get. I currently keep my HEQ5 outside with various layers on it - first layer is a tea-towel, then a black bin liner and finally a good quality heavy duty kettle bbq cover. I have a bungy cord tied around it's 'waist' to hold everything in place. It has been out for about three months so far and has braved some diabolical weather. I have seen absolutely no evidence of water ingress so far and the mount has worked perfectly on the woefully few occasions that I have used it. I do slightly worry that one day I will turn the mount on and nothing will happen, but so far so good...

Same here- old woolly hat to cover the sharp bits, bin liner + de-humidifier crystals, couple of Poundland BBQ covers held on with bungee.

Archived