Narrowband

Street Lighting – A Result

Mad Taff

I just wanted to share with you my experience of challenging new street lighting outside and near my home. The council underwent a major programme this summer of installing LED street lights. It seems they were using two designs – one design more or less enclosed the lamp directing the light downward and these were mostly used on main roads. The other design has open sides and threw white light in all directions. It seems they used these on side streets. There are two of these outside my house, one of which lit up my back garden, from where I do my observing, almost like a flood light. The light pollution was a lot worse than the old ‘orange’ lamps.

I complained to the council sending numerous emails. After about four months shields and louvres were installed last week. My back garden, although not perfectly dark, is now darker than what it was even before the new LEDs. Brilliant!!!!!! I’m glad I persevered. Can’t wait for the next clear night – which might be a while yet. Cheers, Phil.

I am having an ongoing battle with the builders.

I moved into my new-build home in May and there is a street light at the end of the row of gardens, it looks like a goldfish bowl and lights up my garden.

The response from the builders tech dept. was "The light is required for the side street and is where the council lighting designers said it needs to be".

I didn't dispute that but did dispute the fact it shouldn't light up the gardens.

Still awaiting a response.

Well done. LED lights are brighter and whiter than older types. As well as spoiling our view of the sky they disrupt wildlife and affect our own biological rhythms, reducing our ability to produce melatonin and possibly putting us more at risk of cancer. Their only advantage is that they are more energy efficient, but the greatest efficiency is to switch them off if they are unnecessary.

I am having an ongoing battle with the builders.

I moved into my new-build home in May and there is a street light at the end of the row of gardens, it looks like a goldfish bowl and lights up my garden.

The response from the builders tech dept. was "The light is required for the side street and is where the council lighting designers said it needs to be".

I didn't dispute that but did dispute the fact it shouldn't light up the gardens.

Still awaiting a response.

try this

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/pdfs/ile.pdf

Obtrusive Light, whether it keeps you awake through a bedroom window or impedes your view of the night
sky, is a form of pollution and can be substantially reduced without detriment to the lighting task.
note post curfew max i lux
page 3

Another email sent.

This was the last reply-

Dear Mr 

The street lighting scheme at Bn S has been designed to provide the required luminance levels for the benefit of the whole site and obviously has the necessary approvals, however we have reviewed your request and as the streetlight is some distance away, 2 gardens to have any effect in reducing the light levels this would have a detrimental effect on the consistency and overall light levels to this part of the site.

Also to advise that once these streetlights are adopted by the Council they will implement a dimming regime such that the output will be reduced to 60% between the hours of 10:00pm and 6:00am.

Regards

Steven

the key word are light trespass, max i lux after curfew (normally 11.00pm)

The UK Government will be providing an annex to PPS23 Planning and Pollution Control, specifically on obtrusive
light. However many Local Planning Authorities (LPA’s) have already produced, or are producing, policies that within
the new planning system will become part of the local development framework. For new developments there is an
opportunity for LPA’s to impose planning conditions related to external lighting, including curfew hours

I'm waiting on the lamp by my front door to be painted on my side, they tell me they can't use shields as that only fits at the front or back. No mention of louvres being an option. Sadly they is no dimming curfew they are all the same all night in intensity.

andy ask them to come out and do a light meter test and advise them that if it is over 1 lux you expect them to deal with it before the council adopt the lights. like happy-kat the light by my front is side ways on and they have stuck a strip of gaffa tape down the side. it works well. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The council have just changed all the lighting on my estate to LED's. The light's have two row's of LED's and are directed at the floor. I have taken a couple of shot's and altered them slightly as the camera make's it look brighter than it appears to one's eye's

post-28847-0-94922500-1425775422_thumb.j

post-28847-0-82053000-1425775426_thumb.j

post-28847-0-66085000-1425775430_thumb.j

As can be seen the light beams don't really spread too far so the rear of my garden is a lot darker. A thumbs up from me! I managed Emely Moor transmitter in the back ground too

Damian

Archived