Sky at Night Special - Rosetta

Freff

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was a very good episode.

I was wondering if they would be able to capture a sense of the excitement of the events of the last five days, and I think they did a good job.

Well done Chris, Maggie and the rest of the team. :smiley:

p.s   I thought about SPM several times during the programme.  He would have absolutely loved it!  :smiley:

I'm not sure if this has been posted before.

Thanks Freff, nicely timed,

it had been mentioned bit ago but had got deleted from my short term ( or was it long term, I forget ! :) ) memory.

but just caught it in time, thanks.

Very well done, excellent presentation and summary I thought.

I had to record it and wait until the jungle had finished, so watched it later.

it was good to see alternative views of the same events from the main feeds the other day.

I still think Maggie needs to lay off the red bull though!

I still think Maggie needs to lay off the red bull though!

I completely agree. I find her style of presentation very false and off-putting. Unfortunately, her co-presenter has all the charisma of an EQ5. If only they could find something inbetween it would be much more enjoyable and engaging to watch.

As for this particular episode I liked the fact that it wasn't overly technical and seemed to focus on the enourmity of the achievement even though there was a bit of a sad ending. It provided a nice balance to some of the doom and gloom reporting that I have seen in the past few days.

Sleep tight Philae, we all hope you wake up just in time for the big show around the Sun :wink:

I watched the episode last night and enjoyed it, thought it gave a pretty interesting insight into what was occurring possibly more so due to the outcome of the lander. I along with others by the sounds of it thought about Sir Patrick during this episode think he would have loved the excitement.

As for Maggie I thought the same thing when she started, however someone pointed out to me she has a some similar mannerisms to Sir Patrick in her presenting style I think so hopefully experience she can reign in the excitement a little

Lay off the Maggie bashing chaps. If she isn't allowed to get excited about this!! :) :) At least with the "sound bite" format of the show, you only get ten second bursts of extreme enthusiasm at any one time and Chris normally does a pretty sound job of keeping everything on track.

Looking forward to catching it on iPlayer.

Paul

Maggies is a scientist, MBE, a research fellow in UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies[3] and an Honorary Research Associate in UCL Department of Physics and Astronomy.

She also has dyslexia.

However, a good presenter she is not.

Having said that, I think we'd all rather have a proper scientist presenting these things rather than a dolly bird because producers think it looks good.

Maggie bashing is only a bit of fun.

It's same as Chris Lintott being like a half asleep giant toad.

:)

I enjoyed the programme and found it very informative.

As for Maggie, initially her delivery was distracting for me when I first started watching her on S@N but Ive got used to it now and I too would sooner have someone in the trade so to speak over someone a standard presenter or daft comedian any day

Said in the other thread on this that I changed channels to watch something/anything else.

S@N were a little outdone, the BBC News Channel covered Rosetta quite a lot and for 2 days.

By the time S@N came out with the special it was to some extent all over, and had been reported a lot as well.

I will ask:

Did anyone not know that it bounced 3 times, ended up at an angle (almost sideways), under an overhang, that the harpoons did not fire and that the jets to "press" it down also did not fire as it landed? Equally did anyone not know this 2 days before the S@N Special?

As to Maggie, I just think that for whatever reason she is not the right person, something doesn't click.

And to "Chris Lintott being like a half asleep giant toad", get to one of his talks. Half asleep he certainly is not, he is bouncing round like a nutter. On S@N he is very subdued compared to when he is giving a talk. Believe me, totally different person, refreshingly mad.

Archived