SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does such a thing exist?

Ganymede12

I know that astrophotographers can use diffraction gratings and filters to image a star's spectra. However, is there a filter or eyepiece that a visual observer can use to see a star's spectra? Like, look through an eyepiece and instead of seeing points of light you see each star's spectra? Or am I going stir crazy from a lack of observing :clouds1:

The Paton Hawksley site has something very close to the one's from Rainbow Optics here in the US. Here's the direct link to the ones for astronomical use:

http://www.patonhawksley.co.uk/astronomicalgratings.html

I have the two-piece set from Rainbow Optics, and it works very well. Here is the link to Rainbow Optics:

http://www.starspectroscope.com/

The Rainbow offering can be used exclusively for visual use by screwing the diffraction-grating cell into an eyepiece, or the nose of a star-diagonal, and then placing the Len's Cell on top of the eyepiece. For astro, or video, photography, you need just the diffraction-grating cell. If you'd like to know more, then you might like to check out the Yahoo group for astro-spectroscopy:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/astronomical_spectroscopy/info

And with all this - you will be well-armed to make those stars out there hand over what they are made of. Which is why I love using my astro-spectrograph - learning the composition of a star and where in it's life-cycle it was when it's light began it's journey to our eyes.

Clear & Colourful Skies,

Dave

You can. Great isn't it?

The Lens Cell spreads the diffraction grating spectrum out a bit so that you can see the absorption lines in the spectrum.

I have a SA100 grating that I use visually. The lines are visible in the corner of my eye but the spectrums so thin that I can't make them out directly. Pity you can buy the Lens Cell separately really. I'll just have the see if I can get hold of a suitable cylindrical lens to do the job.

I've also got an old Zeiss Amici prism device that I'm trying to get working, so it's not a new idea, but the new kit is better and cheaper.

Well worth having a go in my opinion :-)

James

The Lens-Cell from Rainbow Optics acts as both diffraction-grating and as a magnifying-glass to bring it together for visual use. The diffraction-grating alone is best suited for imaging/photographing the spectra:

http://www.starspectroscope.com/

If the link doesn't take you it, go to Rainbow Optics at the above link, and click on Product List. You'll find it.

Clear Skies,

Dave

• 1 month later...

I think I've found you a way. OPT is Oceanside Photographic and Telescopes. They are located in California, and I believe they will ship to the UK, And they carry the Rainbow Optics spectrographic goodies:

http://www.optcorp.com/rainbow-optics-star-spectroscope-visual-imaging.html

I suggest you send them an email. Here a link to fill out an email-form to ask them a question:

http://www.optcorp.com/contacts/

I have done a lot of business with OPT over the years. They know astronomy on an expert level. And always are eager to help and answer questions A.S.A.P. I rate them as a gold-star retailer.

Clear Skies,

Dave

... and it arrived on Wednesday instead.

There was a brokers tax on it which neither OPT or UPS felt that hey needed to tell me about which added another £50 on top of the £160 for the Spectroscope itself and £30 for shipping and VAT.  So it has been more expensive than anticipated. 

But its here now and I can't wait for a clear night to try it out on!

• 2 weeks later...

So, the spectroscope works, I've even made some rudimentary images with it. However, I'm not seeing the absorption lines in the spectra. My chemistry teacher suggested reducing he intensity so will a lunar filter help to reduce the intensity and resolve the lines?

What are you looking at? Ideally you want a bright object so you can then look for the dark lines. You might not be able to see them if the slit in your spectroscope is not thin enough, I found this when looking for Fraunhofer lines in the Suns spectrum (when looking at a cloud... Not directly at the sun!)

Cheers

PEterW

I am Looking at Betelgeuse through the Rainbow Optics Star Spectroscope with my Skyliner 200P dobsonian and a 25mm eyepeice. I can barely see the absorption lines but when I use a webcam and sharpcap I can faintly make put one line in the orange/red area of the spectrum. 

I just tried placing a lunar filter between the diffraction grating and  the EP but that had no effect (other than a darker image). 

Something I noticed when trying to take an image was that I couldn't focus on the entire spectra at once. I either focused on one end and had it fan out at the other end or focused on the middle and have it fan  out slightly at both ends. 

Any ideas?

Visually, the absorption bands should be seen in brighter A type stars - Sirius, Vega etc.

The clarity of the lines depends on the seeing conditions and focal length of the telescope. Good seeing and lower f ratio's (around f5) will help.

The reason the spectra image doesn't focus is due to chromatic aberrations in your optical system. This is a common problem with refractors but should be suppressed in reflectors. Try the grating alone mounted in a nosepiece on your camera - no eyepiece. You should be able to get a better spectral image.

Try the grating alone mounted in a nosepiece on your camera - no eyepiece. You should be able to get a better spectral image.

I haven't been using an eyepiece. Just the webcam, nosepiece, grating and barlow lens. I can't focus any part of the spectra without the barlow lens so I can't really remove that. 

My two telescopes are an F10 Refractor and F6 Reflector. I've been using the reflector. Visually, I use my 25mm and 26mm EPs as tthis give me the exit pupil closest to the optimul range suggested by the owners guide. 

Archived