Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Find a Star

ian_b

high I just registered to find out if theres any star gazers in Doncaster that could help me (willing to pay for there time)

ive recently named a star after my recently passed partners mother I know its a kinda scam and u can never own a star etc etc but its just a nice gesture I did and was hoping someone could help me locate it exactly in the night sky as I have no idea lol. so if theres any star gazers in Doncaster area willing to lend a hand or point me in the right direction id be extremely gratefull

thanks ian

Hi Ian and welcome to SGL I was given one as a gift for my 40th birthday and it did include a star chart listing some brighter objects around it, you could try downloading stellarium a free software package that might show you the general area of the sky that includes your star and the best times to view it.

Alan

Thanks Alan yeah I have the stars co ordinates but I know nothing of stars I did buy the brightest one from the 3 options given and iam told I can see it from a city that's well lit so iam hoping it can be easily seen but ill give the stellarium a try see if I can work it out thanks again for your help Alan

sorry pete I didn't see your post the details for the star are RA:9H0M38.4S DEC:41°46m58.0s

but I must thank Alan I think, i'am not 100% sure that i've found it as the charts I have to the ones on stellarium are the same the stars seem to be the same but the constellation lines different somehow but its helped me a bunch

sorry pete I didn't see your post the details for the star are RA:9H0M38.4S DEC:41°46m58.0s

but I must thank Alan I think, i'am not 100% sure that i've found it as the charts I have to the ones on stellarium are the same the stars seem to be the same but the constellation lines different somehow but its helped me a bunch

no worries Ian, glad you have found what you were looking for.

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum. I know you have conceded that 'owning' a star is a little unrealistic, though the sentiment behind your action is most definitely valid and a very thoughtful tribute for your partner and her family.

Let's hope the clouds clear soon so you can have a proper check on it's precise location. 

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

Welcome to SGL. Looks like you've been given some tip top information already to help you locate the star. Hope you get to see it.

Hope you hang around as well, this is a great forum for all sorts of help.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

• 2 years later...

ian_b I hate to tell you buddy, but I think we were scammed! I also paid to name that exact same star on 11/10/11 for my daughter on the day of her birth. I have a certificate and everything with those same coordinates dated 11/10/11.

On 5/11/2017 at 22:04, erikrinehart said:

ian_b I hate to tell you buddy, but I think we were scammed! I also paid to name that exact same star on 11/10/11 for my daughter on the day of her birth. I have a certificate and everything with those same coordinates dated 11/10/11.

maybe it was you that was scammed. ;) many people such as Ian go into these sales knowing full well they don't own the star etc. It's a bit of fun 

On 2017-5-11 at 22:04, erikrinehart said:

I hate to tell you buddy, but you've been scammed.

Ian at least realises that it is a symbol of remembrance and comfort more then anything else.  You seem to take it far more seriously and assume that you've actually bought a star. 

Archived