Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Options for imaging a solar eclipse.

Wolvie

Hi all,

I posted this in another topic dont think it was the right area though. I have a Skywatcher 102 OTE startravel with a 2X barlow, super 10mm and a super 25mm.

being new to all this I have set my sights on some new lens. But in March next year I am going to the Faroe Islands for the solar eclipse and I'm wondering could anyone give me some advice on the minimum filters I would need to view and photograph this and the best set up for it (I'm not too sure how far my budget will strech) any help and advice would be great thanks.

Clear skies.

Pat

I will let the solar imagers detail the required filters etc but most of the magic of a solar eclipse is the view with the MK1 eyeball so a pair of these would come in handy http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-solar-eclipse-observing-glasses.html

Alan

P.S. Remember the sun is the same apparent size as the moon so practice framing and choice of barlow etc with that.

During the total eclipse you won't need any filters! thats the beauty of it :)

You'll need a mylar filter over the front of your scope both before and after the eclipse (PLEASE don't remove until totality is upon you, a stray glimpse unprotected will blind you :shocked: )  The Baader solar film is the cheapest way of doing this.

Don't forget to have a look and take in what you are seeing if you are blessed with clear skies on the day - I've been lucky enough to witness totality 4 times out of 6 attempts and it's all too easy to miss a good look while feverously trying to capture an image - take it from someone who knows!

I use the ADEP setting on my Canon camera which works pretty well with the rapidly changing light levels - it you really want to concentrate on photographing the eclipse just fire as many as you can at different settings (bracketing) using a remote shutter.

Above all good luck!

I would second John's comments, get some Baader solar film, some cardboard and scissors and make a white light filter. With the spare material you can make a solar filter for your finderscope and even some eclipse glasses.

Baader solar film is as good as the very best white light filters at a fraction of the cost, but if you want to move up a gear (and cost) get a Herschel wedge.

I am intending to put on a public display in my local village in Northumberland and will use two scopes, my white light rig (Herschel wedge) and a Ha scope (Lunt). Of course i only have about 92% totality, but let's hope for some clear skies, you should get some cracking views if it is clear.

If you need any help on making a filter please post a reply and I will see if I can dig out my notes, but there are plenty of other folk on here have made their own.

Robin

I would second John's comments, get some Baader solar film, some cardboard and scissors and make a white light filter. With the spare material you can make a solar filter for your finderscope and even some eclipse glasses.

Baader solar film is as good as the very best white light filters at a fraction of the cost, but if you want to move up a gear (and cost) get a Herschel wedge.

I am intending to put on a public display in my local village in Northumberland and will use two scopes, my white light rig (Herschel wedge) and a Ha scope (Lunt). Of course i only have about 92% totality, but let's hope for some clear skies, you should get some cracking views if it is clear.

If you need any help on making a filter please post a reply and I will see if I can dig out my notes, but there are plenty of other folk on here have made their own.

Robin

That would be great if you could DrRobin :) Im working all earlies this week so should get time in the evining to get it all sorted just wasn't sure if I needed certain eyepices as well thanks for all the help everyone.

Pat.

Hi,

I have had a look for my white light Baader postings, but don't seem to be able to find them. There is however, a very similar thread on this forum, with some great advice, check out this posting....

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/229558-filter-recommendation/?p=2481011

I think this will help? Let me know if you still have questions and I will take some photos of my Baader filters and re-post.

Robin

Hi,

I have had a look for my white light Baader postings, but don't seem to be able to find them. There is however, a very similar thread on this forum, with some great advice, check out this posting....

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/229558-filter-recommendation/?p=2481011

I think this will help? Let me know if you still have questions and I will take some photos of my Baader filters and re-post.

Robin

Cheers DrRobin will take a look at home later and give it a go, thanks for all the help.

Pat

Archived