Narrowband

Images from Philae's onboard camera

Jonk

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping they show a diagram of how it rotated. Did it rotate on it's axis or rotate so that it's now more level with the surface?

Me too. According to Twitter there has been a sudden drop in available power. The rotation won't stop a hibernation state just now, just more likely she can wake up in a few more days.

They should have written a hibernation command into automatic software?

Much like a dying breath, it would report back that power is too low so hibernation mode activated.

It can't just switch off...can it?!

Looks like they are just trying to download as much data as possible before the battery runs out.

Possible that it might recharge now the managed to move position a little but not certain by any means

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should have written a hibernation command into automatic software?

Much like a dying breath, it would report back that power is too low so hibernation mode activated.

It can't just switch off...can it?!

Positive they have a hibernation mode. Also a safe start mode so the first useful power is used to heat the batteries. I am positive they noted both these in the briefings (?)

Feel quite attached to the little fellow :smiley:

The whole operation has been very transparent too. We can evesdrop on the operations as they happen rather than rely on a PR machine to massage and package things. Good lessons for future projects I feel :smiley:

Thanks for keeping us in touch Jonk :smiley:

I'm hoping they show a diagram of how it rotated. Did it rotate on it's axis or rotate so that it's now more level with the surface?

I think we'll have to wait until they do a 'before and after' comparison of the CIVA photographs before they know the new orientation?

Difficult not to feel a little sad at the way it's mission was cut short due to the bad luck in 'hopping' to a dark spot.  Nevertheless, the scientists have a great deal of data to process and study over the next weeks and months (years?), so there is no doubt that it was a hugely successful mission... so far. :smiley:

Archived