Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Be Still My Beating IC-1805

PhotoGav

Thanks Will and Ajay.

Will, are you making any progress with the setup, despite this miserable weather?!

Hey Gav.

Not a lot of Deep Sky stuff sadly. For some reason something always comes up and prevents me from getting out! Been in Iceland recently and got some good Aurora shots (see the widefield section) and have also been getting some good solar stuff but DS is where my heart is so I'm keen to get back on it! Having said that the set up appears to be working pretty well, the only minor problems being the HITEC cable which can be slightly temperamental (in terms of start up procedure) and the hub for all USB cabling (its fine when using USB 2.0 but when using USB 3.0 - required when I use the Grasshopper for Solar stuff - it becomes very temperamental beyond maybe 2 or 3 metres).

Having said that my biggest problem is getting some carry cases (with foam cut outs) for the equipment so I can start to take it out in the field more easily, for some reason its a nightmare!

Cheers

Will 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've really enjoyed having a good look at this and, like the others, I think it's beautifully done. Seamless mosaic, impeccable framing, deep, nothing over or under cooked, low noise and no obtrusive NR, nice light background, tiny stars...

This is a lovely piece of craftsmanship and there's even a literary allusion in the title to please the superannuated English teachers amongst us...

:grin: lly

Hey Gav.

Not a lot of Deep Sky stuff sadly. For some reason something always comes up and prevents me from getting out! Been in Iceland recently and got some good Aurora shots (see the widefield section) and have also been getting some good solar stuff but DS is where my heart is so I'm keen to get back on it! Having said that the set up appears to be working pretty well, the only minor problems being the HITEC cable which can be slightly temperamental (in terms of start up procedure) and the hub for all USB cabling (its fine when using USB 2.0 but when using USB 3.0 - required when I use the Grasshopper for Solar stuff - it becomes very temperamental beyond maybe 2 or 3 metres).

Having said that my biggest problem is getting some carry cases (with foam cut outs) for the equipment so I can start to take it out in the field more easily, for some reason its a nightmare!

Cheers

Will 

Good to hear that you are doing some imaging, even if not the DS stuff - though that seems to be impossible from southern England at the moment... Yet another new Moon period is passing with cloud after cloud. Who's idea was it to get into the this astro mullarkey?!

I'm going to jump to the solar and aurora threads and see what you've been up to!

As for cases - the gold standard is pelican: http://www.pelican.com/ they should be able to satisfy your every requirement, for a fee of course... Good luck.

Will - this link is the Pelican UK site: http://peli.com/en/content/peli-internal-protection-systems

Thanks chap, looks good. The bit I'm struggling with is actually the CNC foam machine (custom cut outs). For one of the scopes I (thank god) managed to keep the foam it came in but annoyingly I threw away the others! Plus I have so much general 'stuff' that I now seem to cart around (diagonals, eyepieces, baht masks, cameras, cables etc) that I was looking to get a custom made piece of foam for inside the case. It seems to be impossible (or very expensive!) although I think these guys might be my best bet: http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=6025-7341. I think they'll be able to make the foam for the Peli cases. Half of the problem is caused by the fact I seem to be up north one week and back down south the next so I'm chucking stuff in the car right left and centre and i don't want it to get damaged :/ Are you using Peli's for yours?

My QSI came with a Peli-case, the ed80 has its skywatcher ali-case and the edge 800 lives in its original box and foam. I don't travel much with the kit, yet, so don't really need case protection. In fact, the current project kit lives all connected up on the top of our mahogany sideboard in the dining room, waiting and hoping for the next clear night! Then there is a number of 'really useful' boxes to contain all the other bits and pieces!

A truly excellent and beautiful image :)  Great stuff :)  I too love to see nice use of English - Not an ex teacher but I do love to see the better nuances of the language :)  That was a nice touch :)

Archived