SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Strange lights in Sky

Gffilm

Hi all,

My friend Matt and I were taking a walk on Friday, Oct. 24th, 2014 at 9:15pm Arizona time, and we noticed lights in the sky. They appeared in the North, about 50 degrees above the horizon. They were the brightness of stars, but there were 100s of them in a small cluster, moving and flickering about, but definitely emitting light.

They appeared to be making different shapes, sometimes resembling a ball, an arrow, lines, etc. We walked around to get a different perspective, thinking they were relatively close by, but as we moved around we realized these lights were not at all close. They looked like they were outside of our Hemisphere.

As each minute passed, they started drifiting away into the atmosphere, going higher and to the NorthWest. After 20-30 minutes they were no longer visible.

We looked online since then trying to figure out what it could have been but have found nothing that matches what we witnessed. So, I wanted to check with the stargazing community to see if anyone has clues about what it could be.

- Gershon

I'd go with Ruud and the quadcopters video. I've never heard about anyone using Chinese-lanterns in the USA. And judging by Gershon's description, I sincerely doubt that idea will float - and I'd think the likelihood of "swamp-gas" or "weather-balloons" would be equal contenders for consideration.

But whatever - sounds like it was quite a sight! Once a year, the young geniuses at MIT* pull some wild prank. Quadcopters would be in league with them. Any good universities around Scottsdale, Arizona Gershon?

Clear & Freaky Skies,

Dave

Archived