Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hyperstar Imaging with Edge 1100HD and Atik 460ex (OSC)

skygeezer

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's mighty tiny in the FOV at f2!

☺️

I have an f7 focal reducer on order (back ordered) for imaging small objects but I don't have any desire to image at f10 right now. F7 will be long enough subs for me for the time being. Eventually, I'd like to try a few objects at f10.

My Atik 11000 camera adapter is finished and I plan to set up my RASA at Starizona this weekend if the weather permits so I can get familiar with it and get the calibration frames and Focus Max V Curves completed.

Curt

F ratio myth at work, maybe? Focal reducers don't really work for objects that will fit on the chip unreduced because they don't create any new object photons. They just pour what you have onto fewer pixels. You could shoot at F10 and then shrink the image down to this size and get much the same result. The Sombrero would take longer to present larger but, boy, you'd get some juicy detail!

Olly

just seen this thread now! been through it front to back, and im amazed at the images your producing giving the amount of data you have! you certainly making the most from these photon's at f2!......wow

Thank you Martin!

Thanks for the explanation, Olly! I wonder what kind of image I'd get with my Atik 11000 at the back of the scope at f7 or f10?

I don't quite understand the concept of image scale.

Image scale is the size of the image on the chip, usually in units of arcseconds for the object and mm for the image on the chip. You can model a camera frame at different focal lengths on most planetaria. I do so in SkyMap Pro but there are free ones as well.  

There is no problem imaging galaxies at F7. The collection that Yves and I did in a 14 inch at F6.8 gave this kind of result with a focal length of 2.4 metres;

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-Sc3kgzc/0/X3/M51%20DEC%20VERSION%20clip-X3.jpg

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-p5JCSFT/0/X3/M64%20LRGB%205Hrs%20WEB%20CROP-X3.jpg

If you're not dead set on presenting the image in full size you can take less time over it. Getting the S/N ratio down enough for a 1:1 presentation does take time, but the key thing is that aperture alone determines how many photons you get from the galaxy. F ratio has nothing to do with that.

Olly

Image scale is the size of the image on the chip, usually in units of arcseconds for the object and mm for the image on the chip. You can model a camera frame at different focal lengths on most planetaria. I do so in SkyMap Pro but there are free ones as well.  

There is no problem imaging galaxies at F7. The collection that Yves and I did in a 14 inch at F6.8 gave this kind of result with a focal length of 2.4 metres;

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-Sc3kgzc/0/X3/M51%20DEC%20VERSION%20clip-X3.jpg

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-p5JCSFT/0/X3/M64%20LRGB%205Hrs%20WEB%20CROP-X3.jpg

If you're not dead set on presenting the image in full size you can take less time over it. Getting the S/N ratio down enough for a 1:1 presentation does take time, but the key thing is that aperture alone determines how many photons you get from the galaxy. F ratio has nothing to do with that.

Olly

Olly... I'd be very happy to have some images like yours! Maybe someday... Gotta keep trying and learning.

• 4 weeks later...

My 4 panel mosaic of the Orion/Running Man from 28 December. I didn't get any short exposures so I did not have the ability to do a composite image. Even tough the core is overexposed, there is some decent detail

post-39844-0-58819200-1420143609_thumb.j

• 7 months later...

I bought the Hyperstar at the begining of August for my C11. The Hyperstar has a few screw settings for adjustments etc. I was too impatient when it arrived. I was careful to remove the mirror at the front and instal the Hyperstar. Attached my Cannon 50D unmodded to the Hyperstar. Took some quick photos of the dusk sky and focused. Waited until the stars started to appear and decided to look for M51. Took 1 photo 15 seconds at 3200ISO and was blown away with the image. Yes, its not perfect, there is blooming and lots of other tweaks that needed doing but, for a single shot and the result it gave me after what litterally was minutes setting up, WOW fantastic!! I now have that image on my laptop as a desktop background :lol:

Seeing the results of your images here, how great they look, I cant wait to get a clear darker night ( in August it doesn't realy get dark for long this far north) and time to start taking some images and hope they can look half as good as yours  :smiley: 

Thanks for your posts. You have wetted my appetite even more. :lol::icon_bounce: 

Thank you, Star101… I'm sure you'll enjoy your Hyperstar setup more after you gain some more experience with it!

I literally have not had one good night for imaging since last December… thank you, El Nino!   :mad:

Curt

Archived