SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hyperstar Imaging with Edge 1100HD and Atik 460ex (OSC)

skygeezer

Lol erm yes the Hubble palette work obviously needs a little refining. Do like M42 in HA version though, real promise there i think.

yer.......I think my technique needs some work. Understanding what I'm doing would be a good start...... :laugh:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have images using a Ha filter from my HS setup. I'll post a couple of images later today. The new Bader NB filters are specifically made for f2'ish systems but they are expensive!

I bought a set of these filters- they are very good. I used those filters to take the narrow band images I've posted through the hyperstar.

A question- did you have to collimate your hyperstar or was it pretty accurate when you got it. I suspect might could do with a tweak but I will check an image in CCD navigator to see what it says.

Witchead is very nice but is it me or is it just a squidge off focus? 

Horsehead is lovely, oodles of data in there. I know i said it before but I would so love to see what the Hyperstar can do in mono with narrowband filters.

Probably just my weak processing skills!

I bought a set of these filters- they are very good. I used those filters to take the narrow band images I've posted through the hyperstar.

A question- did you have to collimate your hyperstar or was it pretty accurate when you got it. I suspect might could do with a tweak but I will check an image in CCD navigator to see what it says.

I have not collimated any part of my system since Dean at Starizona set it up for me a year ago.

My Ha images are already posted in this thread on page 3.

Best of luck! I really think fast, narrowband may be the answer for the light pollution/cloudy weather hampered imagers out there!

Blimey what a machine gun delivery of cracking images. Amazing collection.....phew!

Best regards,

Ralph

Thank you, Ralph!

I was out last night and took eight panels around the area of the Cone Nebula in Monoceros for a mosaic. I'll try and get it together today. I took 12 subs of 180 seconds for each panel. The moon is an issue now so I'll be on standby for awhile.

The big news for me is that I just purchased one of Celestron's Rowe Ackerman Schmidt Astrographs and a new Atik 11000 camera. I should be able to image large areas of the sky more easily once I get everything together. Starizona is making an adapter for the camera/scope for me and once that is finished I'll get the chance to see what can be done with it.

Curt

I was considering Celestron's Rowe Ackerman Schmidt Astrograph & then i remembered my light polluted skies. What is really useful about the Hyperstar is the filter slide adapter which allows you to use filters. With the Rowe Ackerman unless you can get a filter attachment for your CCD camera you are limited to either  mono (can you get a filter into the camera before it is threaded- don't know?) or an OSC CCD camera which under my light polluted skies gives me awful colours. This solution is not viable for me at present but I would love to go down that route for wide FOV work If I could use an OSC with dark clear skies. I will look forward to seeing the new images with that setup.

The RASA will be mated to my Atik 11000 with an adapter Starizona is making me which will make use of their filter drawer (I have one on my HS setup) so I can use the new, super fast Baader narrowband filters. I hope it works out!

The mosaic I mentioned is ruined due to some errors I made late last night/early this morning. I entered the wrong coordinates and some of the subs are badly affected by the moonlight from last night so I will try again next new moon window.

:smiley:

This is the only other image I was able to salvage from the eight.

It is actually a mosaic of two images and contains reflection nebulae NGC 2245, 2247, IC 446, 2169 as well as open cluster Collinder 95 and Barnard Nebula B37 and B38.

I'll try again after the last quarter moon.

post-39844-0-45301600-1417324445_thumb.j

Thank you, Ralph!

I was out last night and took eight panels around the area of the Cone Nebula in Monoceros for a mosaic. I'll try and get it together today. I took 12 subs of 180 seconds for each panel. The moon is an issue now so I'll be on standby for awhile.

The big news for me is that I just purchased one of Celestron's Rowe Ackerman Schmidt Astrographs and a new Atik 11000 camera. I should be able to image large areas of the sky more easily once I get everything together. Starizona is making an adapter for the camera/scope for me and once that is finished I'll get the chance to see what can be done with it.

Curt

I have one of these on test and I have an Atik 11000 but it's a mono. Are you going for OSC? And, if not, how will you deal with filters? The 11000 is a little larger than the central obstruction but not, according to my tame optical engineer, by enough to worry about.

Collimation will be interesting if needed since the camera will have to come off for adjustment.

Olly

Olly...

I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your images! I bought the OSC camera. The folks at Starizona will be helping me set up the system and getting started. Also, I will have their filter drawer installed in the imaging train so I can use the new Baader high speed narrow band filters.

Curt

Yes, it's mighty tiny in the FOV at f2!

☺️

I have an f7 focal reducer on order (back ordered) for imaging small objects but I don't have any desire to image at f10 right now. F7 will be long enough subs for me for the time being. Eventually, I'd like to try a few objects at f10.

My Atik 11000 camera adapter is finished and I plan to set up my RASA at Starizona this weekend if the weather permits so I can get familiar with it and get the calibration frames and Focus Max V Curves completed.

Curt

Archived