Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hyperstar Imaging with Edge 1100HD and Atik 460ex (OSC)

skygeezer

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic images Curt. I've not had the courage to go down the hyperstar route with my C8 XLT, but looking at your images and the short exposure times you are getting it is certainly worth considering, especially as clear skies here in the UK are few and far between. As for near perfect seeing conditions; well they are nearly non-existant! :clouds1:

Thank you for the kind words, Bryan! I think HS would be a great imaging system for folks who suffer with limited opportunities due to weather or pollution. The images Starizona has on their big monitor in their shop were mostly from a C8 and they are fantastic. It isn't a perfect platform for sure, but I think it offers a reasonably easy to learn and use system that can yield decent results and keep one interested.

Curt

At this rate Curt you'll be converting us all to Hyperstar. I can't get my head round the fact that you've produced all this work in one year! Many of us here would be happy with one of those images a season! :D

I'm lucky enough to own a C8 edge plus the .7 reducer, so you've certainly got me thinking as to where I should put the money I've got from my recently sold PST. I'm going to look into it further at least :)

One obstacle would be my Canon DSLR obscuring 8" of aperture.

I've had some success with imaging galaxies as well but with such a wide field I have to crop the image greatly to see any detail. I thought I would post a couple of my better ones.

:smiley:

M106 (one of the larger ones!)… 15X300 seconds, imaged 26 May.

I've had some success with imaging galaxies as well but with such a wide field I have to crop the image greatly to see any detail. I thought I would post a couple of my better ones.

:smiley:

M106 (one of the larger ones!)… 15X300 seconds, imaged 26 May.

post-39844-0-61618500-1415889298_thumb.j

I can only echo what everyone else has been saying, outstanding images.

Some of the best I've seen from a C8.

At this rate Curt you'll be converting us all to Hyperstar.

Already been looking but I think that will be in a few years time yet.

I have an Edge HD1100

:BangHead:  It was reading Starfoxes comment with regards to the C8 made me think that when it quite clearly says so in the title. I was writing a quick reply at work before I got caught and rushed it without thinking what I was typing.

In that case these are the best deep space images I've seen taken with an SCT.

Sorry about the confusion.

I haven't tried much in the way of narrowband imaging other than some hydrogen alpha as I haven't bought the other filters. I managed to get some good data on the Pelican Nebula (IC 5067) in August. This was taken from Starizona's parking lot which is just a couple of miles north of Tucson and directly adjacent to a 4 lane highway. These were 10 minute subs (10 total).

post-39844-0-57964700-1415997524_thumb.j

Archived