Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEADS UP: BBC 4. Horizon 8.00pm

bomberbaz

Thanks bomberbaz, just set my box to view it. The Sky write says it's "pushing the limits of science and engineering with a new generation of super telescopes in the hunt for mysterious objects in the universe". Looks like it could be really interesting.

Think this is a repeat but i'll be watching it anyway.

Anything but Earbender's or Constipation Street!

Cheers for the heads up Bomberbaz.

Kenny.

It was a repeat Kenny but even though slightly old it is fascinating.

I loved the sagitarious A composite from all the different wavelengths of light, absolutely ffantastic. I blumming love science.

Steve

What a fascinating programme i wouldn't mind a VLT but i dont think it will fit in my garden

I watched this with my 8 year old daughter while she was getting ready for bed.  She asked me what a VLT was and when I said it stood for a very large telescope, she killed herself laughing and then asked if those geniuses from NASA would call our cat a SBAWC (small black & white cat).  Found it difficult to argue with her  :rolleyes:.

I watched this with my 8 year old daughter while she was getting ready for bed.  She asked me what a VLT was and when I said it stood for a very large telescope, she killed herself laughing and then asked if those geniuses from NASA would call our cat a SBAWC (small black & white cat).  Found it difficult to argue with her  :rolleyes:.

Given that ESO are imaginatively calling their beast the EELT I don't think we in Europe can criticise them Americans too much  :smiley:

Catch up on iplayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b013pnv4/horizon-20112012-2-seeing-stars

• 2 weeks later...

Just got round to watching this. The technique of stimulating upper atmosphere sodium atoms with a laser to generate an artificial star to correct atmospheric distortion at the telescope is unbelievable. Like deep sky stacker to the nth degree. Blimey and indeed gosh.

Archived