Seeing and Solar Observing

Hello from Seattle,

Here's a question that I haven't seen asked/answered here:

When is the best time for solar observing?  I've observed the sun on perhaps 5-10 occasions (with a full aperture solar filter of course) and I am having trouble understanding when is the best time for this.  I've checked seeing forecasts for my area each time afterwards, and there hasn't seemed to be any discrete pattern between the seeing and how well I can make out detail on the sun.  Sometimes I can get up to 150x and make out fine details, while sometimes 30x is the highest practical power I can go before details start getting smudged out.  I'm at a loss for what it causes this.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

_N

Early morning is always the best time for solar imaging/ observing.

As the surrounding warm up, the seeing deteriorates. This can be aggravated by large concrete areas (heat sinks) and close-by buildings.

It's similar for me.   My backyard is where I do most of my solar observing, and as I'm in a large town, the earlier part of the day is often best, before the Sun has heated the surrounding buildings and roads, causing turbulence from rising air from the hot surfaces.

Of course during the winter months, I have to wait for the Sun to get high enough above buildings and the normally poor seeing low down, so that and the weather and other commitments often means I have to compromise and observe when I can, but mornings are usually best from my location.

Most of my solar observing is at 20 - 50x, I've never used 150x or anything near that high a magnification.

Regards, Ed.

The quality of image is probably going to be affected by a myriad of factors, Including but not limited to: atmospheric conditions, difference in temperatures between the ground and air, poor mounting system causing unwanted vibrations, air heating up in the telescope causing turbulence, and time of day.

From experience the overriding factor is good seeing conditions. I've had some of my best and worst sessions at midday, others that have been really quite poor and excellent early morning or late afternoon. I'll try to observe when its not cloudy, but apart from that, in my own case there doesn't seem to be a premium hour to observe.

As Ed mentions, typically a decent white light solar session is being conducted at around 50x. Sometimes I'll being viewing at around 80x and on special occasions to really dip into a sunspot, I might go to 100x, but like Ed, have never found the need to observe the sun at 150x.

In some ways, I find solar observing similar to planet viewing. You sit comfortably and although the seeing conditions might not always be up to scratch, if you wait, a little pocket of clarity often appears allowing you a more detailed and stunning view of the sun. 

Great replies, and it seems most people don't use high mag much for white light viewing, but I do quite a bit, seeing considered. My 90mm takes 150x and the 120mm 200+ regularly for observing the sunspots, with fantastic views. The granulation, faculae and plage like a bit less in my scopes. I find mornings are best to obs, but not always. A lot of my EP's are not best for solar, but a few stand out- the 18mm BCO and 16mm Nagler are among the best- it pays to play around trying eyepieces.

Archived