Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Handheld scanner for meteor scatter?

Hi folks

After the abysmal skies we have had lately for spectroscopy work (ie nearly every night!)  I`m getting more interested in amateur radio and wondering if a good hand held scanner can be used for meteor detection?. I`ve been looking at the Icom R20 and the Alinco DJ-X11 with the latter having an IQ output to enable 3rd party SDR software to be used. Further digging around has dug up some software for the R20 to be used with pc control (KE7ATE) so this too looks a good candidate for SDR use. A handheld scanner would have the added bonus of being able to be used when away from home.

thanks

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Tom just noticed your reply ;-)

I am looking for a good handheld to listen to the amateur bands and also the odd time away from home to try a bit of meteor scatter, not sure if its possible with a make do antenna, (I'm still fairly new to radio stuff!)

Steve

Hi Gasman,

I'm in the exact same boat, Al & Steve have been great help with advice and knowledge,as I'm sure you will agree.

I'm looking at building a meteor scatter aerial & setup in the new year, Just depending on funds at present as I'm still at University doing Fine Art, so it's moving between the two loves of art and astronomy. 

I have heard about using a handheld, it's led me to look at CB radio's too but don't know too much about them within being used for radio astronomy. I did read up on that you can use them as an alternative handheld radios for picking up meteors, but didn't understand the process described.  

Hopefully, someone with expect knowledge pick this post up and help us out.

Best

Tom.

Archived