548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

Heads up "Cosmos" BBC Four

sbooder

Hi all,

sorry it this is already a thread (please delete admin if it is).

BBC Four 22.00pm tonight (09/11/2014) 1st episode of Cosmos...the original with Carl Sagan.  They are showing the whole series, Whoohoo!!!!

• Like 6

Recording the first and really looking forward to this. Freesat is not letting me record the whole series even though it shows 1/13 so not sure what is going on.

I know, I have caused a storm on Twitter regarding the issue.  Is it the whole series or just the one off for Carl Sagan's birthday?

Having watched the Brian Cox programme I think these are one-off showings just for tonight.

Interesting programme with Brian Cox, Alice Roberts and Brian Blessed though, even if it was rather staged.  Brian Blessed felt like a bit of a spare part on occasions, but Alice Roberts came over very well I thought.  Fascinating clips of James Burke, too.  A man for whom I have the deepest respect.  In my early teens he probably had a greater impact on the way I thought about the world than anyone else on television.

James

Not sure about Cosmos, but I am thoroughly enjoying Alice Roberts,

Oh ! was it :)

I missed the start and any intros, by about 10mins and spent the rest of the prog wondering if it was Krestovnikoff or Coren-Mitchell !!

Doh!

Not quite sure what Brian Blessed was there for :(

Oh I see I am doubling with JamesF

I missed the end credits - when was that made/first bc ?

To devote a whole hour of talking heads, even on Beeb4, is brave these days !

Would rather see more of "The Assent of Man" /* Bronowski than Sagan

James Burke was low in my estimation all those years ago, he made some right howlers, not limited to but including especially the Giotto fly-by of Halley, one of my babies.

But recently, reading his CV and origins, I have warmed to his re-runs !!!

And now, cos of all that I missed a good clear sky and it is all clouded over, life just aint fair :( !

* PS a re-run of "Civilisation" by Kenneth Clark would go down a treat as well !

They dont mak'em like that any more !

Edited by Ptarmigan

Hate to say it but Cosmos itself was a bit of a let-down for me. There I was thinking Cox was King of the "smouldering look to camera" but Carl Sagan was doing it 20 years earlier! Mind you, Cox dies say Sagan was his inspiration!

Having watched the Brian Cox programme I think these are one-off showings just for tonight.

Interesting programme with Brian Cox, Alice Roberts and Brian Blessed though, even if it was rather staged.  Brian Blessed felt like a bit of a spare part on occasions, but Alice Roberts came over very well I thought.  Fascinating clips of James Burke, too.  A man for whom I have the deepest respect.  In my early teens he probably had a greater impact on the way I thought about the world than anyone else on television.

James

I think Alice Roberts is excellent. I like her presenting style and find her stuff incredibly interesting. I just feel she presents the evidence and then lets you decide things whereas Prof Cox kind of tells you "how it is". James Burke on the other hand was the proberbial danglies. As a kid him, Johnny Ball and Magnus Pike were huge heroes of mine. Oh maybe Micheal Bentine as well but thats a whole different story.

I think Alice Roberts is excellent. I like her presenting style and find her stuff incredibly interesting. I just feel she presents the evidence and then lets you decide things whereas Prof Cox kind of tells you "how it is". James Burke on the other hand was the proberbial danglies. As a kid him, Johnny Ball and Magnus Pike were huge heroes of mine. Oh maybe Micheal Bentine as well but thats a whole different story.

It's Potty Time!

• Like 1

I would really love the beeb to do a re-run of the whole "Ascent of Man" series, really excelent TV. I also liked the way James Burke put down the arrogant idiot with the cravat.

"Civilisation", "Ascent of man", "Cosmos". I'd like to see a lot more new programs made to that standard. Alas the Media Studies types who run the TV these days just wouldn't get it.

I would really love the beeb to do a re-run of the whole "Ascent of Man" series, really excelent TV. I also liked the way James Burke put down the arrogant idiot with the cravat.

"Civilisation", "Ascent of man", "Cosmos". I'd like to see a lot more new programs made to that standard. Alas the Media Studies types who run the TV these days just wouldn't get it.

I am afraid it is a two way thing, the more they make these sound bite programs the less attention span people want to put effort into.  Can you imagine anyone  under the age of 30 accepting Dr Jacob Bronowski just talking to them for over an hour, with no CGI or reference images?

I watched Horizon's program on the Big Bang, and I guessed they wasted a good 10 minutes of program time showing a balloon explode every time they said the words Big Bang...Aaaarrrrggggg!!!

I enjoyed the programme too. I feel like that character from the Fast Show - this week I have been mainly watching science on BBC4 :smiley:

I think all the programmes were one offs as Brian Cox had control of the channel for the night. Although Cosmos was listed as 1st of several the later programme was listed as 10/10. With this good science programme overload and Sky at Night I am slowly filling up my Sky+ box! :eek:

To be fair to Horizon im actually quite pleased with them. I remember in the late seventies watching Horizon science programs in absolute awe (even though i didnt understand it). However for two decades i feel it was hijacked and turned into a political air time. Im pleased of late it seems to be back to its old self and exploring science and technology with renewed vigour. 

I'd lament the hijacking of science for [iMO] political purposes. :o

And youngsters (Ten and up) *occasionally* arrive (conscripted?) at our local Astro Group. They have FAR more stamina than me, when it comes hour-long "old guy and slide show" talks on their latest "Hubble Palette Images" etc. lol [teasing]. Today's youngsters may lack opportunity, but not intelligence?  ;)

Of nearly pensionable age, listening to Brian Cox / Alice Roberts witter about the "good old days" slightly depresses me. Heaven help their "polemic" opinions be challenged! Let's get back to the 70s - You could "say anything" then! Give them their bigger *science budget* money NOW! (Shades of Bob G!)  :D

For me, Bronowski, Sagan, Attenborough etc., *did* the programs and expressed opinions... Without all the BBC-salary [wo]man (slightly cringe-making): "Will I - Won't I [rock the boat]", giggling. But I tire of these "non-party-political, but very political" scientist-politicians! Just level with the rest of us, Guys?  :)

Science has a grand tradition of transcending religion and politics. Places like CERN were founded on that. For me, science is for *everyone* anyway! Who cares if you love (hate) James Burke or you think men who wear (then wore) cravates "slightly dodgy"! lol. Surely, we've moved on since then...

In the interests of impartiality (Pick on Alice Roberts for a change?):

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvpbW7JRu0Q] (Philomena Cunk)!  :p

Edited by Macavity