SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan v3.36 released

dph1nm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No worries about the typo, we all do it.  Annoying though that you cannot change the title with the first edit...he shouts to the admin.

Thanks for the heads up.  I will probably hold off until I hear the verdict...Oh what the hell I will flash the HC tomorrow!

OK, I could not wait, I mean what else is there...rain or Strictly, no thanks.  Two things.  1, it did not find the COM Port automatically, but that is not any different than when I did the last flash.  So easy to go to Device Manager and find the correct port.

2, Do not worry if the green line is not showing at the bottom of the loader when complete, when it shows complete it is.

So, just need a bit of clear sky to test...get back to you in 2016.

Here are the Release Notes.

================================================================
The Release Note of SynScan Ver.03.36 Firmware:
----------------------------------------------------------------

New Features:
1. User configurable declination offset for a mount(e.g. EQ8) which supports Auto-Home function.
2. Astronomical time-lapse photography.
3. Atmospheric refraction, cone error and non-perpendicular error compensations for better pointing accuracy.
   Cone error measured in 3-Star alignment can be used in subsequent 1-Star or 2-Star alignment.
4. Meridian flipping for GOTO can be enforced or disabled.
5. New algorithm for alignment stars filtering to improve alignment quality.
Note: Please download the latest manual for details on the above new features.

Bugs fixed:
1. Occasional irregular approaching at the end of GOTO.
2. New firmware uses J.2000 coordinates for computer communication.
3. Unreliable Auto-Home when the mount is already at home position.
4. Other minor bugs.

================================================================

Bug fix #1 was one that I ran into. At the end of a slew to some objects, it would go into a triple up/down adjustment and end up off the object. There was one more problem I reported to them which is not specified here. They were able to reproduce it so hopefully that is fixed. The one thing that is not mentioned is the cord-wrap issue in Az Mode. I hope they have done something to fix that.

In briefly comparing the v3.35 manual to the new v3.36 manual, I found these differences:

===================================================================================================

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+
+       Firmware 3.36 Manual Changes
+
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Part II: Initialization
-----------------------

Section 2.1: Setup Home Position of the Telescope Mount
-------------------------------------------------------

#2. Home Position of an Alt-Az Mount
 ------------------------------------
  Alt_Azimuth mount Home Position description removed mention of
  "Full Feature" vs "Easy Tracking" mode differences. Definition is now:
    "Mount Base is level and tube points to due north."

Section 2.2: Initialize the Hand Controller
-------------------------------------------

#5. Setting Information for Observing Site
 ------------------------------------------
    New paragraph added for entering your elevation to adjust for
    atmospheric refraction.

PART IV: Synscan Menu Tree
--------------------------

A. Under SETUP MODE - "Alignment":
     1) "Polar Align" has been removed
     2) "Cone Error" added.
     3) "NP Error" (Non-perpendicular Error) added.

B. Under UTILITY FUNCTIONS:
     1) "Astro Time-Lapse" has been added.

PART VI: Configure the Telescope Mount
--------------------------------------

Section 6.6: Setting Flipping Mode
----------------------------------
    New section added to enable/disable meridian flip.

PART VIII: Auxiliary Functions
------------------------------

Section 8.1: Editing Date, Time. etc
------------------------------------
  Minor wording change in item #4.

PART XI: Advanced Features
--------------------------

Section 11.7: Setting Cone Error and Non-Perpendicular Error
------------------------------------------------------------
    Section added.

Section 11.8: Astronomical Time-Lapse Photography
------------------------------------------------------------
    Section added.

===================================================================================================

JohnD

After looking at the manual a little closer, there seems to be a problem. I mentioned that the Menu Structure diagram no longer had "Polar Align" under the Alignment function. But the manual still has the "Polar Alignment without Polar Scope" section that refers to using the "Polar Align" menu function. Well if that is no longer a menu option, how do you do it?

JohnD

Yes, i'd be interested to know from anyone who has upgraded to 3.36 to know if polar align is in the menu tree. I'd also be interested to know if the polar align function [if it still exists] takes into account the cone error correction routine.

James

After looking at the manual a little closer, there seems to be a problem. I mentioned that the Menu Structure diagram no longer had "Polar Align" under the Alignment function. But the manual still has the "Polar Alignment without Polar Scope" section that refers to using the "Polar Align" menu function. Well if that is no longer a menu option, how do you do it?

JohnD

The PA Align without a Polar Scope was never a selectable option unless you had done a 2 or 3 star align so not seeing it in a menu doesn't mean its not there, it just won't appear until a 2 or 3 star align is completed...

I have done the upgrade, well the handset says Ver,3.36, its not connected to the mount so running through the start-up i now get a "Set Elevation " option, not noticed this before....

Here is what it says in the  new v3.36 manual on the Elevation.

"Elevation (for atmospheric refraction compensation)

The LCD screen will display “Set Elevation:” in the first line, and display the elevation in meters in the second line.

Use the scroll keys to change the leading “+” or “-” sign when the cursor is on it.

Press the numeric keys at the cursor position to fill the number of elevation in meters.

Press the ENTER key to confirm the input and proceed to the next step.

Press the ESC key to return to the previous step."

I am running through the set up in the HC and I have got to the Elevation entry.  I am presuming that as I am about 190m above sea level, I enter +0190?  I am guessing that I put 0 first as it asks for 4 digits which allows for elevations in the 1000s of meters...Yes?

Archived